Dick Grayson| Go the Distance

Requested by: TaylorGriffith879

Prompt: Self given

Warnings: None

Extra: 

~*~

I have often dreamed of a far-off place

Where a great, warm welcome will be waiting for me

Gotham was cold, gloomy, and 99% of the time had zero sun. Of all the places to move from Europe, it wasn't my first choice. But when a mysterious aunt left me boatloads of money that I could only partially trace to a really sketchy mafia past, I couldn't resist.

Where the crowds will cheer when they see my face

And a voice keeps saying, this is where I'm meant to be

"Dear (Y/n), I hope this letter finds you in good health. I suppose it's important to inform you that your time in Gotham will not be as pleasant as you hoped coming in. I have a request for you. There are many who look up to our family name, and all of them are aware that you're the next in line. Take over the family business, as your father refused when he was young and passed the line onto me. They won't cheer, but they will protect you with their lives." I read off the letter my aunt left me curiously. It was on the desk in her study, in the giant mansion plated with gold.

When I first arrived, I was struck dumb by the sheer size of the place. There were a few staff members remaining, including a head chef, maid, and butler. The entire staff was given a fair share of money and given the chance to leave after my aunt's death, the ones who were there the longest stayed.

"Welcome to the (L/n) Manor, Miss," the butler, Carlton, and the head maid, Juliet greeted me with large smiles, "If you have any questions please ring for us."

Being led around the manor revealed even more wonders. I'd been struggling to make ends meet in London whilst stuck in a dead end job. But in Gotham, under the gloomy skies and solemn faces, I found a palace that I could safely call my own.

I will find my way, I can go the distance

I'll be there someday, if I can be strong

"Carlton, can you come here for a moment please?" I summoned my butler over the overcall - something I never thought I'd do. In what felt like seconds, Carlton was entering the room and waiting patiently for further elaboration, "What... I'm afraid I'm quite confused."

Taking a seat, Carlton explained. He explained the history of a family I never knew, and the power they held over Gotham. The (L/n) family had essentially run the underworld for generations, overseeing transactions of all kinds and dictating the amount of destruction that was allowed to come from them.

"But your family has been quite secretive with what they do. Only those at the top of the food chain know about the (L/n) family," Carlton explained when I expressed how nervous I was about being attacked, "Before she died, your aunt began working with the public more- reforming the underworld instead of just running it. She worked with Batman briefly as well."

Leaning back in my seat, I knew I had a lot to do. From that point on I'd be running Gotham from the sidelines, always there but never seen unless you were lucky enough to have my blessing.

"What do I do?"

"I suggest a gala, to introduce you into Gotham's society. If you trust the staff well enough, we can handle the invitations and the planning. All you have to do is learn about who will be attending and what they will expect from you. Let's give it, perhaps, two weeks?"