Chapter 28: I Can Show You I'll Be The One

Start from the beginning

I stared at him. He looked awful. He seemed too depressed to do anything but use the bathroom. “Kat wouldn’t want to see you like this.”

“It was my fault wasn’t it.”

“What?”

“C’mon Liam.” He groaned. “If I hadn’t invited her over, she wouldn’t be dead!” He buried his pale face in his palms.

“Don’t think like that! Nothing is your fault!”

Everything is my fault Li! And how am I going to tell Katia!”

I froze. “You haven’t told her yet?”

“Well, I couldn’t! I’ll have to soon though.”

“Let me tell her yeah?” I patted his back. “I can fly over to Australia earlier than everyone else and tell her in person. The phone just wont do.” I pulled out my iPhone and logged on the Internet.

“How are you going to book something so quick? Thousands of people are flying in and out of the country right now. You wont book a seat till next week at the least.”

“Just did. I leave tomorrow night.” I dropped my phone down on my lap.

I was finally going to see her.

(Katia’s POV)

I could feel my heartbeat quicken as Gabriel’s hand found my waist as he led me inside the ballroom. Sebastian’s family had always known to be wealthy so it didn’t surprise me to see him celebrating his twentieth like a prince.

“You’re shaking.” Gabriel observed.

I smiled. “I am? Didn’t notice.”

“We can go back so you can grab a sweater if you’re cold you know.”

“No, no I’m just nervous. I can’t dance.” I muttered.

“What? But you danced in school—”

“That was modern contemporary. I can’t legit dance.”

“Lucky for you, the handsome young man—being me of course—can teach you.” He winked.

“Cheeky…” I rolled my eyes, making him chuckle.

By now, we’d already entered the ballroom. I stood in shock seeing white everywhere. The whole function room seemed like it was drowned in sparkling snow—It made high school’s prom decorations look like it belonged to a cheap kid’s party at a fast food restaurant. I scanned the party. Most of the people wore black or dark red, or white. My cheeks turned crimson at the fact that I would stand out in my peach dress.

“It’s beautiful.” I said suddenly.

“Just like my date.”

I blinked at him curiously. Was he pulling my leg? Did Gabriel Jones just call me beautiful?

“What?” He frowned.

“Nothing—Thanks.” We continued to walk past the tables covered with white cloth and silver confetti when a voice called out.

“Kats! Gabriel! Over here!”

I spun around to see Bree waving at a table. She wore a slim fitted black dress and red lipstick. I loved her smoky eye make-up, which made her look almost like a French actress. Of course, beside her, was Sebastian himself, smiling. Gabriel led me to an empty seat next to Bree before occupying the empty seat beside me.

“So…” Bree nudged me, keeping her voice low so Gabriel wouldn’t hear. “You and Jones, huh?” She winked.

I rolled my eyes but said nothing. Was it true? Gabriel and I? “I guess so.” I murmured back.

I shivered when I felt Gabriel’s chin on my other shoulder. “You girls aren’t very quiet are you?”

I jerked. “What?”

“You guess so?” He raised an eyebrow, obviously amused.

“Oh whatever. You said you never wanted to date me.” I answered matter-of-factly.

Before he could reply, my phone rang loudly in my purse. “Shoot. Um, I’ll be right back.” I excused myself from the table and hurried off to the outside terrace where it was quieter. I flipped the phone open, not bothering to look at the caller ID anymore.

“Hello?”

There was no reply.

“Uh….Hello?” I said again.

Nothing.

I pulled the phone away from my ear to see who called.

I froze.

“L-Liam?”

Nothing.

I could only hear silent breathing form the other side.

“Liam I know it’s you.”  I decided to sound stern, but I couldn’t help but feel bad. My heartbeat quickened when I heard him clear his throat.

“Kats…I need to talk to you.” His voice was raspy. I hadn’t heard that accent in a long time.

“Why?”

“I’ll be in Australia earlier than the others—Can you pick me up from the airport? I leave tomorrow night.”

“Why so early?” I could hear the shock in my own voice.

“Because I need to tell you something. You wont like it but you need to hear it.”

“Where’s Kat? Why isn’t she coming.”

“Katia, it’s complicated. Could you pick me up please?”

I nod, knowing he wouldn’t see it anyway. “Fine.”

“Thanks. Bye.”

“Bye.” I huffed before hanging up. Questions filled my head. What was so complicated? And where was my sister? Did she elope with Niall? Was she sick?

“Everything alright?”

I spun around, seeing Gabriel right behind me.

I nod once. “Liam called.”

His face became stoic. “Why? He doesn’t deserve your time—Not after what he did Kats.”

“I know, I know, but he’s coming in two days and I have to pick him up at the airport. Would you come with me?” I ask helplessly. I didn’t want to see Liam. I didn’t want to have anything to do with him but he sounded desperate and it obviously concerned my sister.

“Of course I will. Just thinking about you and him alone in a car wont help me sleep at night.” He chuckled.

“Oh whatever. It isn’t like you’re my boyfriend.” I joked, but something changed in his expression.

“Right—Let’s go back inside, yeah?” he smiled sweetly.