33.

James went with Cassie early back to her house, claiming he couldn't stand being stuck in his own house any longer. Cassie attempted to explain that being stuck in her house wouldn't be any better. James responded, quite cheekily, that he wouldn't mind being stuck with her anywhere. She'd responded with "Cheesey."

That was about an hour and a half earlier.

"I'm bored." James whined. Cassie peaked up from her book, "Charms to Heal and Deal", with a loud sigh.

"I did tell you my house was just as boring as yours." She told him quite pointedly. "You're the one that insisted on coming anyways."

James pouted at her.

"Yeah, but I didn't realize that you were going to sit and read. I thought we'd be… keeping busy."

Cassie chuckled at his suggestive tone, how very teenage boy of him.

"I don't know why, I specifically told you I was going to read."

James shrugged. "I thought that was code or something."

Cassie laughed incredulously at him and shook her head fondly.

"There are other things to do besides snog all the time." She told him. It was James turn to look at her incredulously, although more jokingly.

"No way, I don't believe you." He shook his head at her and then gave her a wide grin.

The party was in full swing by one thirty. When Cassie had said "just some friends and family", she'd been downplaying it quite a bit. The Malfoy's large lawn was swamped with people. All of Draco's coworkers had shown up, bringing along any significant others and children. Layla stopped by briefly with flowers, but had to leave a bit later.

James was in awe at how many people were actually there. His family included.

"So do you have this many people every year?" James yelled over the crowd and the music.

"Pretty much." Cassie answered with a smile. "C'mon let's dance!" She grasped James hands and yanked him to the dance floor. James saw both of his parents dancing crazily only moments before. Luckily, they were now seated at one of the tables, chatting and eating.

When Cassie danced, James was reminded of the first time he'd seen her dance. Her moves were just as wild, crazy, and out of beat as then. He couldn't help but grin widely as he spun her. This time she was dancing with only him though, no Zabini anywhere in sight.

"You having a good time?" Cassie shouted in his ear. He gave her a swift kiss.

"With you? Always." He told her with a large grin. She rolled her eyes.

"You are so cheesey James Potter. Has anyone ever told you that?" She shook her head fondly.

"Just you." Was his cheeky response.

The party wasn't over until about seven. James didn't understand how he was still able to stand. He was sore from dancing for so long, and now he was ready to sleep for about a year.

His whole family thanked Cassie's profusely.

When the Potters had gotten home they ate a quick, haphazardly thrown together dinner and then went to bed early. Partying was exhausting work.

James had plans to stay in bed all the next day, since that's what summer break was for anyways. The rest of his family was out of the house by ten o'clock. Lily and Albus leaving to hang out with a group of friends. Harry and Ginny going out on errands, with plans to meet Ron and Hermione for lunch.

James snuggled deeply into his bed with thoughts of sleeping until at least noon. However, he should've known the quiet wouldn't last long, not with Cassie Malfoy as his girlfriend.

Said girl, came bouncing into his room at ten fifteen, much too early in James opinion, and bounced onto his bed.

"Good morning!' She sang. James yanked his blanket over his head. Mostly because he didn't want her to see the smile pulling at his lips. Although if asked he'd insist it was so that he could block out the sunshine she'd let into his room. "What are you doing today?

Cassie pulled the covers away from James' face, eliciting a groan and glare from him.

"Nothing, I'm probably going to lay-"

"Wrong!" Cassie's singsong response cut off James sentence. She grasped his arms and yanked on them, in an attempt to pull him out of bed. It only half worked. "You're coming to the beach with Han, Layla, Alfie and me."

James faked a huge sigh. "Alright." He huffed.

"Oh shut it, you should be excited to see three hot girls in bikinis." Cassie winked. causing James to perk up. He sat up and sent a smirk her way.

"Really who?"

That response earned him a smack on the arm and a muttered "Prick." from Cassie.

He rubbed his arm and pouted at her. "You hurt me." He whined. Cassie rolled her eyes.

"Baby." She teased. James stuck out his tongue at her, but got up and began moving to his closet anyways. Cassie waited for him to change and grab anything he needed for the beach. When James was ready he hooked arms with Cassie, who apparated them to an empty strand of beach. It was hidden between rocks and the back of a restroom. She lead him to the real beach and dragged him along to where their friends were already waiting.

Hannah and Layla were already building some kind of sandcastle, while Alfie had a book and was stretched out on a towel, reading. Cassie threw her bag to the ground beside the other girls' stuff. Hannah didn't bother looking up from her sandcastle building, too focused on carving out windows and designs. Layla stood and offered Cassie a hug. Alfie glanced up from his book and gave a smile and short 'hello', but quickly went back to his book.

"Let's swim!" Cassie exclaimed. Layla glanced between the sandcastle and Cassie and then smiled apologetically. Alfie held up his book and Hannah still hadn't glanced up.

"Alright, you boring people stay here. James and I will go swim."

Cassie freed herself of her sundress and grasped James hand. He oggled her bikini clad body and allowed himself to be pulled towards the waves. Stopping a couple steps away and remembering to remove his shirt.

After some swimming the two returned, exhausted, to the group's towels. Hannah and Layla had finished their sandcastle which was surrounded by sticks, in hopes of protecting it. Hannah lay on her towel beside Alfie who was still reading and Layla had decided to bring out her own book. When Cassie and James reached the group Layla offered food from her bag.

Cassie and James gratefully bit into the sandwiches in hopes of replenishing their energy and the group sat and chatted for awhile.

"Alf, you wanna go swimming." Hannah put her hand on Alfie's shoulder.

"Not really." He shrugged.

"Oh." Hannah retracted her hand slowly and pursed her lips. Alfie glanced at her and then stood.

"Um, but I will… I mean it sounds fun, I was just-Uh caught up in my book." He forced a smile and offered Hannah his hand. She used it to yank herself to her feet and she grinned at him.

"Excellent! I'll race you." The two took off running.

Cassie grinned at her friends. It was only the second week of summer holiday and she already could tell the summer would be a good one. She sighed and leaned back against James, putting her head in his lap.

"This is our last summer break, you know?" James asked her. She nodded.

"Yeah, and next year is our last year at Hogwarts." She responded.

"Are you guys scared, you know for an actual job and stuff?" Layla was watching them, her face raised from her book.

James glanced down at Cassie. "As long as I've got her, nah."

Cassie rolled her eyes. "Cheesey." She told him. But she had to agree.

It was funny how one year could change your life. Cassie wasn't sure if she was talking about this last year, or the one to come.