21.

"How do you manage to remember every recipe for potions, but you can't remember a quill?" James muttered as he scrambled along in his bag to hand Cassie one of his quills. He'd found that whenever he sat beside her in a class she was always asking for a quill. She stuck her tongue out in response.

After a couple minutes of hurried, scribbled note copying James glanced over at Cassie.

"Psst." He slid a note across his desk to her. She opened the note conspicuously. Her fingers softly unfolded the paper quietly.

Alfie's birthday is on the 8th, this friday.

She read the note and scribbled back a quick response.

And…?

And I thought we should throw him a surprise party. That's what we always do.

Sure! Sounds super fun! What should I do?

Make sure Hannah, Layla and yourself are their. Especially Hannah.

Cassie giggled at that, she disguised the noise with a quick cough as Professor Boot glanced towards them suspiciously. James snorted, causing Professor Boot to glance over at James and Cassie again. The two sat up straighter and flashed equally innocent faces for Professor Boot. They pretended to scribble down the newest notes that he'd put on the board. Once He'd turned back around Cassie tossed James the note.

Sounds perfectly lovely, can't wait!

When's your birthday then? Throwing parties for eachother is kind of tradition.

Sorry to say that you missed it then. It was 15 October.

:(

James drew the sad face with vigor, earning a smile from Cassie. The bell let out a loud ring, signaling the end of double potions and the start of James' next class, transfiguration. Cassie went up on tiptoes and kissed James' cheek.

"See you at lunch."

"Bye!" James watched her run off with a smile. He grabbed at Alfie, having to quite literally drag him away from Hannah.

"Come on, you know Caruso hates when we're late." Alfie groaned at the mention of their strict Transfiguration teacher.

James and Fred spent the whole week planning Alfie's party. Although it was technically a surprise party Alfie knew it was coming. The boys had made it a habit to throw each other not-so-surprise parties every year for their birthdays. Each one was better than the year before with hotter girls, better music and tastier food.

The majority of the decorations and set-up was taken care of. People had begun streaming in through the Fat Lady's portrait. She seemed annoyed by the amount of times she was forced to open and let in the surplus of guests. James had stationed Miguel Cabrera, one of his and Alfie's dorm mates, outside in the hall to whisper the password and let people with invites in. Many people were attempting to sneak in with no success. Those who had been invited bounced with excitement, knowing this would surely be the new party of the year. James beginning of the year birthday had been spectacular, but no doubt this would be even better.

"Hey." Cassie's voice startled James, he spun around to see her. He inhaled hard.

Cassie was in a lovely light blue dress. It was swooped low at the top, cinched at the waist and had a short pleated skirt. Her long, tan legs looked spectacular with the light color, as did her very blue eyes. Her hair was its usual curly mess, but the front had been braided back to the sides. She held a matching blue clutch, that James suspected held more than just her wand.

"Bloody hell you look good." He blushed at his inarticulate words, but she let out a laugh. Her head tilted back slightly, causing her silver eye shadow to catch the lighting.