16.

James scuffed his feet nervously across the ground. It's not like he hadn't asked friends to come over before. Alfie almost always came to his house for Christmas break. This year however, Alfie had cancelled, saying his parents wanted him to go with them on their annual holiday trip and James had to invite a different friend.

Of course, he knew exactly who he wanted to invite and that was what was making him so nervous. Cassie was a girl. He'd never brought a girl home before. He'd never wanted to bring a girl to meet his parents before, but this year was different. James had never wanted to bring a girl home because he'd never been good friends with one. He'd never thought he would be either.

He knew the way his family would react when he brought Cassie home with him.

His mother would get nosy and hopeful, pressing repeatedly about James and Cassie's relationship status. His father would chuckle and wink "knowingly". Albus and Lily would most definitely take the mickey out of him and don't even get him started on his many cousins and aunts and uncles' reactions. Then there were his grandparents too…

Hence the reason James was incredibly nervous.

"Hi!" Cassie burst into James' dorm with her bright sing song voice, which instantly brought a smile to his face. "Up and at 'em sleeping beauty. No time for napping, it's our last Hogsmeade weekend before hols."

She yanked him from the bed, causing him to flop onto the ground with a yelp. James grinned up at her from the floor. He had the sudden urge to extend the invitation now. He was never very good with self control.

"Come to my house for the holiday." His grin was goofy, causing giggles to spring from Cassue. Nervous futters began in James' stomach. Suddenly, he felt very worried that she might decline. He knew she'd do it kindly if she did, but it might be better if she did it rudely so he wouldn't feel so pitied...

"Sure." Cassie's response was as quick and abrupt as James question had been. She offered out a hand to help lift him from the carpet. James felt the relief instantly, until Cassie continued speaking. "As long as you come over for Easter?"

"Ah, there's always a catch." James sighed with false vexation. Cassie rolled her eyes as she giggled at him. Her laughter made him grin, ruining the effect he'd been going for. He nodded in answer, agreeing to her condition.

"Come on goofy." Cassie yanked at James' arm, pulling him up and forward a few steps. He halted their progress and glanced down at his attire. Bright gold snitches covered his red pajama pants.

"Uh, I need to change." He said awkwardly, his cheeks going pink as Cassie surveyed his pajamas.

"Cute." She teased, he retaliated by poking his tongue out at her.

Cassie waited for James outside of his dorm until he'd come out dressed. Together they trotted down the stairs and to the carriages. Along the way they collected their friends; Alfie from the Gryffindor Common Room, Layla and Hannah from the bottom of the stairs, and Fred already waiting in front of a carriage. After arriving to Hogsmeade the group decided to split up into smaller groups of two for gift buying.

"I call Hannah!" Alfie had called out and grabbed her hand, taking off before the others could even think to respond.

Fred and Layla shared a quick look.

"I need new quills." Layla claimed.

"Crazy, so do I!" Fred hooked his arm through hers.

"Bye guys!"

The two ran off together, glancing back over their shoulders at James and Cassie. The two shrugged, as they didn't mind being alone together.

"Can we go to Zonkos first?" Cassie begged.