45: History of The Trio

A/N: I've dedicated this chapter to 'If I Get High' by Nothing But Thieves. If you watch the music video to this song, I definitely believe that it represents this chapter very well. Plus, I absolutely love Nothing But Thieves and most of their music reminds me of this story and the story of AOT/SNK in general. I hope you all enjoy this chapter! Thank you!!!!

Levi, yourself, Eren, Mikasa, Armin, Sasha, Jean, Hanji, Reiner, Annie, and Bertholdt made your way together through Shiganshina in Wall Maria. In order not to draw too much attention to yourselves in one of the upper rings, you split up into groups. Levi tagged along with Hanji. Reiner, Annie and Bertholdt were a group. Then Jean and Sasha were one as well. You, Eren, Mikasa and Armin were the last group. The goal was to find the cottage that your father resided in. But before entering or confronting your father, everyone agreed to meet up at the bell tower in the middle of the town, to then inform everyone of their findings. Eren was visibly distraught with being involved with the mission. Mikasa and Armin were far better at hiding their emotions, but you could still sense that they felt nearly the same as Eren had. An immense uneasiness regarding the mission.
"Is everyone alright?" You asked, snapping them all out of deep thought. Eren was a bit hesitant, but knew that you were someone he trusted and cared about.
"This is where we grew up before joining the Survey Corps." Eren answered your question with a glum expression. You were curious, of course.
"It's a beautiful town." You mentioned, briefly. You remembered hearing about the Titan attack on Shiganshina several years prior, but you, of course never actually saw it happen. Shiganshina was rebuilt over the years after the threat of the Titans had diminished greatly. Everyone who lived here seemed to be carefree and safe.
"Titans broke through after the Colossal Titan kicked a hole in the wall. Mine and Mikasa's house was hit by some of the rubble due to the Titan outbreak. My mother got stuck under the house when it collapsed and she was eaten by a Titan." Eren explained with a monotone voice as he and Mikasa looked drained of all the life inside of them. It was as if Eren had told that story so many times that he forgot how to react after telling it. You nodded with understanding.
"I'm very sorry." You said with remorse, almost shedding a tear once hearing about what had happened. Eren shook his head.
"It's all in the past now. We've somewhat found peace." Eren and Armin walked on ahead as the four of you continued looking for the cottage.
"Even though Eren talks about this as if he's truly moved on, I can see it in his eyes that he really isn't." You mentioned to Mikasa as the two of you walked side by side. She nodded, then sighed.
"It's hard to explain, but, even though he's angry and saddened by what happened on that day, he's stronger because of it. He'll always have his mother in his heart, even though he can't have her in the flesh. I believe that's truly all he needs to continue living and fighting." Mikasa mentioned to help you understand Eren more as a person.
"I believe that too. But I can the same look in your eyes as well. The pain that comes along with losing someone close to you. You loved her like a mother as well, didn't you?" Your words made Mikasa smile a little as she looked at the river that was to the right of you both.
"Yes. Eren and his family took me in as their own after my mother and father were murdered. I was kidnapped and about to be sold off when Eren came to save me. He and I killed the men that captured me and killed my parents. I feel that I'm indebted to him in a way. I couldn't ask for a better family, and I-" Mikasa stopped speaking in the middle of her explanation. You placed your hand on her shoulder out of comfort. She found it hard to fight back the tears.
"You don't want to lose him too." Saying those words made Mikasa's head launch up in surprise. She looked at you with knitted eyebrows until she began to smile out in agreement to your statement.
"Eren and Armin are all I have left." You looked on ahead at Eren and Armin as they both walked together, talking about trivial things, while you and Mikasa were in the background of them. You smiled.
"You have them and you always will. No matter what, you will be a part of them, as they will be a part of you. That can never change. Even in death, the love you have for someone will remain inside you. That's what I've learned after losing my family. After all this time I thought my father had died along with my older brother and mother. I feel almost selfish seeking him out with all of you helping me. You've all lost everything dear to you except each other. I feel that it's unfair." You mentioned honestly. What you said worried Mikasa as she looked over at you.
"You're not being selfish, Y/N. In fact, I'm happy we're doing this. You deserve to get even a small fragment of your family back. We all do. The world is cruel. We've all lost something in our lives one way or another. If I thought for one second that either of my parents were alive right now, I'd drop everything just to find them and I wouldn't stop until I did." You let out a silent chuckle, truly warmed by what Mikasa had to say.
"Thank you, Mikasa. I also believe that I'd be devastated if I lost any of you." You mentioned truthfully, making Mikasa beam happily at you.
"I couldn't agree more." Mikasa answered as the four of you continued walking, in search for your father.

A/N: It took a while to get back in the groove of writing this story after being gone for the time I was. Hope you all enjoyed this chapter! Updates will likely not take this long in the future now that I have some more inspiration of where I'm taking this story. See you all in the next update! Have a great week and stay safe!!! <3333333