16: Small Doses of Affection

You sighed against Levi's collar bone, taking in his eager benevolence. You second guessed yourself, however. It was a trait you always carried with you since a young age. For someone that seemed so cold to everyone else around him, to share such a genuinely kind demeanor with you seemed too good to be true. It was confusing, but mostly almost unbelievable.
"Why are you so kind to me?" You questioned softly. Levi blinked a few times before looking down at the floor. He smiled tenderly, leaving you to become befuddled over his reaction.
"I don't know, it comes naturally." Levi's eyes met yours, glimmering a bit from the moonlight beaming through the window of your bedroom. You smiled back halfheartedly as he collected himself in that moment.
"I have this inordinate need to be there for you." Levi admitted. You busted out with laughter.
"Yeah, that's called being a true friend." You looked at him happily.
"I guess." He let out a disappointed sigh. Your reaction wasn't what he had expected it to be. You felt guilty in the way he stared at you. You didn't want him to think you were mocking him.
"Levi, I appreciate everything you do, and I care about you a lot. You're the one person I've had in my life other than Marcus who truly mean something to me." There was a tenderness in your voice that made Levi's head shoot over at you. You nodded with confirmation.
"Glad to hear it." Levi still appeared indifferent to what you said. You pouted, trying to figure out what to say in a proper manner in order to help him understand what you meant by your earlier question.
"We both clearly have a questionable past and trust issues with the people around us. I only asked why you treated me so differently compared to others because you seem so closed off. It threw me off that you decided it would be me that you cared for this much." You could feel a small warmth in your cheeks while saying those words. Levi took in everything you stated and responded with another minuscule smile.
"I saw something in you. When I look in your eyes, I see loyalty and strength. Anyone can act strong and loyal, but when those traits radiate from a person without even trying, it's more reassuring. We both came from the same place, yet you're the most selfless person I've ever met." Levi proclaimed. You felt a tingling sensation from your chest to the end of your fingertips. You clasped your fingers together and placed your hands in your lap nervously. Hearing someone speak so positively of you truly was a strange experience. It was new, but it was indeed comforting to hear.
"You get all that just from my eyes?" You chuckled, smiling nervously at Levi. He nodded, continuing to look into the alluring view painted on your face. There was a knock at your bedroom door that snapped you both out of the moment. Even though you were in distress that it was over, the situation made your heart feel like it was being hammered into your abdomen. You got up from the end of your bed to open the door. The person behind the door didn't announce themselves and it made Levi suspicious. He quickly made his way to your door before you. Levi gripped the doorknob as you rolled your eyes. It was Eren. You tilted your head in confusion of his sudden appearance.
"Hey." You happily said, scooting in front of Levi so Eren could properly see you. Levi wasn't distrustful, but he continued to remain wary.
"Sorry, I thought you'd be alone." Eren scratched the back of his head.
"It's alright. We were just talking about training and paperwork. What's up?" You lied to Eren. Though, what you and Levi were doing wasn't inappropriate, it would still seem odd to others. Eren was someone you had growing trust with, but he was still young. You held back a bit of laughter as you remembered the rumor he had told you about. To scold Eren as well as the entirety of the rumor, only for Eren to find Levi standing in your room was all too coincidentally hilarious to you. You didn't care what anyone thought however, no matter what Levi had to protest about the ordeal.
  "I wanted to ask you if you'd like to hang out with Mikasa, Armin and I tomorrow. Since it's our day off, I figured you'd want to do something." Eren asked directly. You hummed in consideration, excited to hear about the invitation. You nodded gleefully.
"Of course." You answered. Eren smiled excitedly.
"Great! I'll see you then. Sorry to bother you." Eren said, waving goodbye. You shook your head as you waved as well.
"It's no worry at all. See you tomorrow, Eren." You replied, closing your door and turning to face Levi. He wasn't upset, but seemed curious to you accepting Eren's request. You sat down at the end of your bed again. Levi seemed uneasy, but before you could question it, he started to speak before you.
"I should head back to my own room." Levi said, leaving you disappointed. Yet, you didn't argue against his decision. His company truly was distracting for your memories.
"Okay. I'll see you tomorrow, then?" You asked, hoping he would confirm. Levi walked towards you, suddenly kissing your forehead as he gently held the back of your head with his right hand. You didn't refuse or jolt backwards, completely relaying your trust in him. He nodded, smiling at you before leaving your room and closing the door behind him. Your body felt strange. It was a sensation you never felt as it left you wanting more. The feeling of such endearment was all too new, though, you weren't afraid of it as long as it was Levi. You laughed it off and headed to bed. There was an interestingly long day ahead of you after getting some proper sleep. You were excited to see Mikasa again, knowing that you and her were really beginning to become great friends. Thinking over the day you had, you were still overwhelmed with the feeling of Levi pecking your forehead. You smiled, turning to your side to fall asleep.

A/N: Once again, thank you for all the support so far. I know it wasn't much compared to the usual length of chapters I'm used to writing, but I'm going to be shortening a lot of them regularly now. Probably somewhere between 800-1200 words a chapter. I also realize this chapter wasn't too interesting; however, I hope you all enjoyed it, and are happy to see where the relationship between you and Levi is headed. I'll be posting again soon.
~K