Chapter Eight

"He's just a human," Kirstie said. "You need to relax, don't overthink this. A person, that's all he is, just like you and me."

I sighed. "Yeah well a person that I happen to be in love with. Are we even going to be friends anymore?"

"I don't have the answers."

"I know, I just--" I began pacing around Kirstie's office. Mitch was right next door. Only a wall away. This made anxiety shoot through me and my breathing quickened. I was back at work from my "sickness" and it was time to enter Mitch's office. I'd only gotten one day to recover. A year wouldn't even be enough.

"Scott? Calm down sweetie." Kirstie's soothing voice filled my ears and I felt myself relax. He really is just a person, right?

I gave her a weak smile. "I better get in there."

"It'll all be fine."

One. Two. Three.

"Good morning!" I said cheerfully, might as well play it off as best I can.

"Glad to see you're feeling better Scott." No. No. No. I knew this tone of voice, this Mitch. This was the act he put on for his father and I can tell you I am no Mr. Grassi.

"Yes I am." My cheerful performance was already gone as I realized that he really was giving up on me. It was over.

"Great. Well yesterday Avi, Kevin, and I worked together--" I began to tune Mitch out as he droned on. I didn't think about anything else and let my mind go blank, I just wanted this dreadful day to be over. Seeing Mitch here hurt like hell. He was fine and I was breaking. I felt like I was losing him all over again.

"But I have to make sure you can actually paint before we go. I haven't seen any of your work. You probably submitted some when you applied for this position, but they don't send any of that to me," Mitch said.

"I'm sorry what?"

"Maybe if you actually listened you'd understand," Mitch spat. I swallowed.

"Sorry Mr.Grassi."

"Don't fucking call me that. I am not my father."

"And neither am I!" I blurted loudly, my words bouncing off the walls. My hands went to my mouth immediately after. I hadn't even thought before saying it, it just came out.

Mitch raised an eyebrow at me. "Are you sure you're feeling alright Mr. Hoying? Because, obviously you aren't feeling well if you feel the need to raise your voice at me."

"Oh you've got to be kidding me," I mumbled under my breath.

"Excuse me what was that?"

"I said, you've got to be kidding me."

"And what is that supposed to mean?"

I took a deep breath, I couldn't snap at him.

"Mr. Hoying, did you hear my question?"

Keeping your cool? It became completely impossible in that moment. "I'm fucking done with your shit! Stop pretending that you're the only victim here! You knew that I was in love with you but you decided to shatter my heart. And I don't care who has hurt you before, I'm not them. And it obviously hurt you, so why the hell do you feel the need to do it to me? It's not like you don't feel anything for me, you do! Goddamnit I know you do! You are crushing me and I can't breathe. I feel like I'm dying and I haven't even had a chance to show you what an amazing boyfriend I can be. What do they give you? Would they make you breakfast? Would they tickle you even when you tell them to stop because they know you secretly love it? Would they go on late night taco bell runs with you? Would they dance around in their boxers to Beyoncé with you? Would they?! What was his name last night? Mark? Kyle? What is my name?! Do I even matter? You are my world but I have feeling that I'm nothing more than another body taking up space on this Earth to you. Is that all I am?! "