Capítulo 31 (treinta y uno)

???

I was packing my books before we were told to leave. One on another, the leathered books made a tower, light brown cover mixing with darker leather stripes to hold the whole object together. Latin names were written atop them in neat letters, and I sighed, rubbing at my aching shoulder at last.

It was the last day of winter semester, Christmas just around the corner and our head priest has sent us home to spend some time with our families.

"My son, keep your father's command and do not forsake your mother's teachings."

- Proverbs 6:20

"In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit; amen," I mumbled underneath my breath, doing a quick cross afterwards. Father Wilhelm has said this on his last sermon before our winter break, teaching us all about love to our parents, to those who take care of us and also a love to God, because He is always watching over us, making sure His children are well.

My lips tugged up into a smile at that thought, the feeling of happiness and gladness blooming from my heart. Though I did not have parents and remembered only little of my times with them, I still was grateful for what they've done for me. For taking care of me until the day they both let out their last breath and even before, giving me everything I needed and way more. I've never been able to pay them back for all those sleepless nights and irritation I've given them as every child does, and yet, even after their death, they made sure I was taken care of.

Oh, how much would I like to go to Venice again, see my nonno and thank him for everything. At least him, if not my mother and my father. Truth be told, I've always been jealous of other kids from the church; whenever they went home, there was their mother and father waiting for them, maybe a sibling, too. But I've never had anything like that; no parents, no brothers or sisters – just my grandfather.

I wasn't ought to be envious of others and I wasn't ought to be greedy for more; sure, God took from me, but also gave so much in return. Later when I was older, I was sent to live with one of my nonno's friends; an Austrian monarch. Going by his Christian name Roderich and with no experiences of raising a child, he took me in nonetheless, providing everything and even more than I've ever asked. Then I've met his Hungarian housekeeper and suddenly, it didn't feel like being an orphan in this big world anymore; I soon enough had people to be around and experience happiness with.

God's paths sure are interesting, I thought before placing one last book on top of my little tower, grabbed one of my leather books and went outside, locking the heavy door with a massive iron key. It screeched as it turned in the keyhole, making me cringe inside. At the entry, I've given it to one of the monks, taking one last blessing from him and God Himself. I've wanted to pray for one last time before I could visit the church again, but I was already late and kept Albert waiting for way too long.

I rushed through the streets of Vienna, running past people who seemed to be on edge from all the mess Christmas always made. Some, though, were happily walking around – gentlemen joined by beautiful ladies or kids playing in the snow. Such was this time of year; full of joy and family time.

Finally, my footsteps came to a halt once I've reached the city hall; a familiar carriage with even more familiar man waiting for me. I came to a stop by the man's side, smiling a wide smile upwards at him. He returned my gesture right away, ruffling my hair before I took a step back, a playful pout on my face.

"Hallo, Albert," I said at last, hoping onto the carriage but not inside; I'd rather sit with my friend whom I haven't seen for months than be locked away again. Being away from the church, God, His word and studying always brought a wave of sudden change, though it wasn't the first time. And yet, leaving and coming was always joined with both relief and distress. Relief of escaping and getting to see the outside world, meeting my friends and caretakers but also distress because though Jesus and God were watching over us all the time, the only place I felt safe in was church, where the Devil had no power to lure me into something unholy.