Capítulo 22 (veintidós)

Roderich

Steam slowly crawled its way up into the faraway distance. It carried a lovely, soft scent of herbs and fruits but the sounds escaping my piano were greater and smoother. Just like the white, gentle blanket outside, covering everything and the wind tenderly shushing the world to sleep.

Finally, winter has come. For some, it was the most unpleasant time of the year and truly, one never knew what could happen, but I did not worry one bit. Winter was that time of year when I didn't have to attend any trips with His Majesty nor did I need to come down to the city.

I took a sip from my still warm tea, warmth filling me up and making me smile a little. My fingers then soon found the keys again, cold and smooth, and slowly started to play a faint melody. It was the only sound in the whole room until I heard a quite knock and the door opened right afterwards.

A lovely brunette peeked in, soft smile quirking her lips up. "I knew you would be here." She stomped towards me and I gazed her up and down, still not used to the new thicker uniform. She said it was harder to move in as it was way heavier and she wished winter could be over soon while it only just started. Elizabeta's hands roamed my shoulders lightly, smoothing out the fabric before stopping to warm them.

"Honestly," she sighed lightly and I could hear a small pout in her voice. "Winter is such an unfortunate time; it's cold, it's slippery, food is more expensive and harder to get..." A hum escaped her as her hands left my shoulders, her frame now lining up with mine after she sat down next to me. I could feel my heart beat a bit faster than before but I took a sip from the tea His Majesty has given me as a gift to calm my nerves down.

"A lot of snow has fallen last night, didn't it?" I hummed back, taking the papers resting in front of me into my hands, going through them to find another piece I could play. "Are you worried about that Italian child?" I asked her, folding the item in my hands before putting it back, standing up and walking towards the large window behind me.

"It's not really him I'm worried about; Tony has been more and more restless everyday lately. I think it's because he's so far away from his ship and crew for such a long time. But he also doesn't want to leave Roma; he's worried about him, too." I saw her turn around towards me although I gazed outside. "Worried about his little boy because if he went back, he wouldn't have someone to play with it. Ekelhafte Er-Hure." The last part came out as a mummer and yet, Elizabeta stood up rapidly, shock and anger flashing through her face.

"Roderich!" She exclaimed. "Stop saying such offensive things!" I huffed as I turned round to face the lady in front of me. "You know it's true, Elizabeta! Just look at how much that Spanish bastard worries about him, like he's a damned vase made of porcelain or something! Carrying and worrying about another man like that is unnecessary and don't you see it? There is no way for a pirate to care about someone so much, not to mention them being the same sex." I took a deep breath and continued in a low, relaxed voice. "It's disgusting, Elizabeta, and it's a sin against nature, against God if you like! It's raising lust to its highest degree."

The Hungarian, now wrathful, came to me, raising her hand and slapped me. And for some reason, it felt as I deserved it. "You, you.." She panted out, her cheeks red from anger. "You shall never speak of my friends in such ill manner! I don't care who you are, Roderich, you have no right to say such things!" My tongue clicked and there went my good mood. "Why are you defending them, Elizabeta? Don't you see it's all utterly wrong? Don't tell me you're on their side!"

Her beautiful eyes, usually so sweet and tender, glared at me, ripping me apart and suddenly, my blood ran cold, turning into ice and I had a hard time from falling to my knees and begging for mercy.