Capítulo 13 (trece)

Antonio's PoV:

There wasn't much I could've done for Romano, so I really did sleep. I was to stay awake because of the anxiety, thoughts and whatnot but soon decided I'd be more than useless if I wasn't rested. Plus, the fact I haven't slept on a bed for the past two or three weeks swallowed me up like one of those enormous fishes Gilbert had told me about. I believe he called them "whales" or something like that.

Lovely and cheerful songs of birds woke me up, Sun already shinning and my soul was at peace. At first, I was rather confused as to where I was but after remembering everything, I sighed at myself. The bed was just about right for me, thin sheet and a red blanket covering my body. I could feel the stiffness in my shoulders but waved it off as I focused my eyes onto the world outside.

The mansion was surrounded by a meadow I knew from last evening's journey and a forest that started to show a kilometre, maybe two, away. My room was, I realized, in the western wing and as I leaned out from the window, (which was rather hard to open), breeze played with my hair. I could've still felt its wetness from the other day but the warm wind was comfortable enough for me to not retire inside again.

As I gazed around, colours popped into my peripheral vision. I soon noticed a garden-like thing in the back yard, full of yellow, red and orange. But that was all I saw from where I was. I sat at my bed, shuddering at the cold that crept into me after closing the window. It was too early to worry about things and people but thoughts began to fill my head like army filling a battlefield.

I was glad that Elizabeta didn't turn her back on me, even though I wouldn't have been surprised if she did. Yet, when I thought about it, we were both adults and what happened before was because of a child's playfulness. I had to admit, from the boyish looking child she was, grew a beautiful young lady. Her mouth didn't change one bit though.

Her heart had gotten softer but probably, her kind tone was because of her sleepy mind. Still, I was glad she let us stay here and took care of the boy. "Poor child," she's told when she opened the mahogany doors. "He's soaked through; hurry inside!" I smiled wryly at that; 'I guess she really did turn into a woman at last.' But, that thought was interrupted by a little bit too realistic vision of her kicking me for that and I shivered.

Her words of the Austrian coming that day were like dripping oil into fire; fire of fear. Roderich's changed for the past decades, I was sure of that. The last time I've heard, he became a member of higher monarchy and that the Empress often relied on his advices. He was a powerful man, there was no doubt in that and with the relationship we've had...I was scared something was to turn the opposite direction I wanted.

At the end, I eased with the fact that the most important thing was for Roma to get better.

My river of thoughts was disturbed by a soft knock on my door. Snapping out of my own land, I called the person in. A maid, I was certain it was the one who showed me to my room in the evening, came in with a bowl full of water and a white, clean cloth. Another woman, an older one, followed in after her, a big pile of....something in her hands. They both set those things on the bedside table near me.

"Fräulein Héderváry richten lassen aus, dass in einem Moment wird Frühstück sein," one of them said and I would've lied if I said it didn't take me some time to understand what she's said. I thanked them both, standing up and going to the bowl to wash my face. However, what I didn't expect, or rather, forgot to expect was one of the females to assist me.

With the knowledge of German I've had left, I manged to tell them I didn't need their assistance. "Herr, sind Sie sicher? Es ist unsere Pflicht, Ihnen zu dienen," the elder let out in a quiet gasp and I gave them both the most charming smile I could've mastered. "Ich bin sicher; kein Angst." They exchanged a look only women could manage and with a final bow shut the door behind them.