Capítulo 8 (ocho)

Antonio's PoV:

In the late afternoon, we reached the end of the mountain. The horses galloped in a steady rhythm down the dusty path, small stones flying around their heads as the dirty powder snaked around their legs.

As it was mid-autumn, Sun was already on the other side of the World, painting the sky above our heads with warm colours while wind joined and disagreed with the orange and red shades.

I was no longer in fear of meeting the wild beasts again as we were already too far away from the deep woods where they lived. However, my thoughts were all but concerned about one certain horse's wound, for it would've been one of the biggest troubles if we lost such an important vehicle, and there was only a tiny chance of finding another one in the middle of nowhere.

Our ride continued without a stop and before stars could come out, lights shone through air. Heart skipping a beat, I slowed down my crew as we began to move closer and closer to its source and with all honesty, I was more than surprised to see an actual village standing in front of me.

It was quiet, mostly, as the animals which carried us on their backs strode around and into the centre where a tall church appeared. An older man who carried a fire lighter stick in his hands, allowing the before-said element rise and shine in the darkness as he walked towards us and only gave me a glance before continuing on his task.

I let my shoulders sink slightly at the relief of the person not finding out who I was and so, I turned my horse and rushed his way but mentioned for the other three to stay there. "Que Dieu soit avec vous, monsieur," I said as I caught up to him. He stopped in his tracks, turning on his heels to me. I gave a small smile in the dim light and tapped the front of my hat. It was a while since I've spoken French but there was nothing left to do than to use it.

"Y a-t-il une sorte de docteur ici?" I cringed at how terrible the pronunciation sounded but I let it slip this time. I leaned forward, propping myself up on my elbows and patiently waited for the old fellow to answer my question. "Qu'est-ce que tu crois que c'est, gamin?" He barked out a low laugh as his shaky finger pointed behind me. "Juste au coin de la rue. Mais ce n'est pas genial."

My eyes travelled alongside it and noticed a large building among the others, a wooden banner already worn-out from the decades there, weather et cetera hung down in the distance, swinging in the breeze. I gave the old man yet another smile and bowed my head a little. "Merci."

I walked past the three men from my crew and heard them follow me right after. We went as far as to stop right in front of the family house's door and I landed swiftly on the ground. With few stern knocks, I heard something inside move, drop, shift and groan before I realized it most certainly was someone. Light shone into my eyes through small gaps on the southern side of the wooden door, reflecting itself from the stony ground inside.

Before the object opened, nearly slapping me, (and Romano laughing at that in the distance), I heard two different voices going on and about something, sounding desperate and one of them angry. I could feel my eyes rolling into the back of my head from what would've happened afterwards.

Finally, the door opened and inside stood a rather short and bulkier old woman. Well, not old but most certainly tired and furious at the person who woke her up from her sleep, being it me. She held an already half-burnt candle in her wrinkled hand, and her blue orbs pierced a hole right through my brain.

"Es-tu le docteur?" I asked and she sighed groggily at that. Then, she gave a short nod before giving me yet another angry look; "Tu veux quoi, au nom du diable?" My mind couldn't have helped but comment bitterly at her attitude but I quickly shushed it as I explained to her why we were bothering her at such ungodly hour.