Capítulo 29 (veintinueve)

Roderich

We arrived five minutes after seven, the time we were supposed to appear but we weren't the only ones late, so I didn't mind. Tonight, I made a vow to myself to not worry about things; no worrying about my reputation, no worrying about His Majesty's marriage, no worrying about that Spanish brat at my mansion. Tonight was only about Elizabeta and I've decided to do whatever in my power to make her happy, at least this one time.

I wasn't a good person, she said it, too. Or maybe I was but I just didn't know what to do. Maybe I've done things I thought were right but in reality, I only hurt the ones around me.

Soft touch stopped the flow of thoughts in my head; yes, it was time to go and join the very annoying monarchs inside. With our arms linked, I guided the Hungarian up the marble staircase, the drumming of horse hooves echoing behind us as more and more guests came. One of the many servants at the main entrance asked for my name, the letter inviting me and then led us down the hall.

The floor was covered with the finest Chinese carpet I've ever seen, the rich red colouring getting one's attention, golden spilling along the edges and breaking into flowers and birds. Paintings of the Habsburg monarchs lined our way to the main ballroom.

The room was wide and big, mirrors and windows everywhere to be seen and not a single glimpse of walls. Chandeliers made of glass and decorated with diamonds gave off the only source of light, yellowish candles lit up on top of them. There were tables with tons of food scattered across them, servants running around with drinks while others chatted happily, laughter filling every corner of the room. There were two thrones on one end of the room but only one was used, the other one was empty.

The servant leading now turned to me, wishing us a good time before dashing away to God knows where. Just few seconds after, another servant, dressed in finer uniform came to us, offering champagne and I took two glasses, handing one of them to Elizabeta who seemed to be in a daze. She silently took it, her eyes wide open and shining, or was it just the light reflecting in them? Her mouth was also slightly agape but she quickly snapped out of it when someone walked by.

She hid her crimson cheeks behind her white fan, moving it gently and the loose hair on her head flapped around. A boy dressed in yet another completely different uniform came to us, asking for our coats and after giving him mine, I helped Elizabeta out of hers.

I took a sip from the liquid, bitter taste appearing on my tongue and a little fire burning my throat. There were groups of people talking all over the room but I truly had no intention of talking to any of those idiots. However, I motioned for the Hungarian to move so we wouldn't stand at the door.

While I stood silently in the corner of a room, watching others, Elizabeta seemed very delighted to be here. Just like a child, I thought and rolled my eyes slightly but somehow, it warmed my heart to see her like this. When she was happy, I was happy, too. When she was sad, I was feeling hopeless as well. And when she was angry with me, I was beating myself up, too, for making her like that.

I drowned the thoughts in champagne, placing the empty glass on a metal trace as a servant walked by. Meanwhile, my lady thrusted her glass into my hands and left me surprised, making her way to food. She grabbed a plate, most likely made out of porcelain; it was white and there was gold on the edge, though I didn't see the details from so far away. She took her sweet time choosing what to eat but as I was informed after she came back, she'd go and get some more later.

I gazed down at her plate and scoffed; it would be hard for her to deny her sweet tooth. Her plate was filled with three different kinds of cake; one was dark brown so it must've been chocolate and the other two were light brown/yellow and were filled with strawberries, I think. I was impressed with seeing strawberries in a cake during December but be it. She offered some to me but I declined; sweets were never my thing.