One Year On - Forty Five (Ryan)

Ryan

Everything is coming together at last. My plan has worked at last. Sure, when I knocked a section of the fence down, I was only really thinking about Oliver dying, not the rest of them, but by this point collateral damage is needed so I can get my girl.

Katie...the love of my life. Mine at last.

It's killed me to see her with him. It's been torture. I don't even think she's noticed what she's done to me over the last year. She has been the monster in my life, not those creatures out there.

"Oliver isn't here," I whisper with excitement settling at the base of my spine. "He's dead, it's worked."

Of course, I'd rather shove the blade into his back myself, to twist it round and really know he's gone, but the chaos has done what I needed it to, and he isn't in the camp anymore. Either he's dead, one of those shuffling puss bags, or he ran. He ran off without Katie, leaving her with me.

That's typical of him, I wouldn't expect any less, he's always been bad news and nowhere near good enough for my Katie, but I'm still sickened by his appearance.

I make my way back to Katie, being careful to avoid any of the undead on the way. The last thing I want is for my life to end in this mess, that isn't part of the plan. The next part is for me to hide with Katie in the pit I've created until the beasts vanish, then we can start our lives together just like we're supposed to.

Me and her are destiny, we've always been meant to be. She actually saw it first, I knew she liked me before the end of the world, but I was too preoccupied to date her then. Now, I know exactly what I want, and I can have it finally. It's all coming together.

"Oliver?"

She whimpers his name as I step into the room, almost bringing me right back to anger. I curl my fists, redness flooding my vision. How can she still want him? Why can't she see?

"He's dead." The words fly out my mouth faster than bullets from a gun. "I killed him myself."

"No!" She shakes her head, her whole body trembles. "No, you haven't done that, you wouldn't, you couldn't...Oliver wouldn't let you kill him."

"He knows that he's no good for you." I take a step closer to her. "He gave up easily. He's finally done one thing right by you. He's le you be with me at last."

Katie is crying now, but she won't be for long. Soon, she will...

"Urgh!" Something buns my skin. It's a sharp pain in the back of my throat, like something has scalded me. I can't imagine what it might be so when I touch the area to find it wet and weirdly sticky, it's a surprise. "What...?"

"Blood," Katie whispers, her one word rendering me ice-cold all over. "It's blood."