One Year On - Thirteen (Alex)

Alex

Rhys doesn't believe me, I know he doesn't, which is why I'm doing most of this alone. He might think it's crazy of me to sneak into restricted areas and to try and listen in to certain conversations, but I'm determined.

Once I've unearthed something to tell him, then I will.

"What ya doing?"

The soft, female voice makes me jump. Guilt runs all over my face, joining in with the hot flush probably shining a deep red across my cheeks...

"Oh, Rachael." Humiliation thickens as I realize who it is. "I'm just..."

"Acting sketchy? Yeah, I can see that. Alan, is it?"

"Alex."

"Oh, of course." She slaps her palm to her forehead. "Alex. So, what are you doing?"

I stuff my hands awkwardly into my pockets, racking my brains for a reason that doesn't make me sound like a crazy paranoid person. But there isn't one. Not one off the bat anyway.

"I'm just listening in to people, trying to learn more about this place."

"You don't trust it?" She narrows her eyes suspiciously. "Any reason?"

"I don't know what I think yet, that's what I'm trying to work out."

"So, there isn't anything to make you feel this way?"

"Just a...feeling." I offer her a one-shouldered shrug. "I don't know, I can't explain it. I guess I'm just concerned. Maybe it's because of the journey that we've been on so far over the last...I don't know, year or so. I can't just trust anything."

Rachael shoots me her sweet coy smile which makes my insides flutter. I haven't ever liked anyone as much as I do her, and I barely even know her. This has got to be the longest conversation we've ever had. That's only because she approached me as well, I never would've worked up the courage.

The last thing I want to do is blow it now.

"Maybe I should just give it up and accept that we're going to be okay here..."

"Or maybe I should join you."

"What do you mean?" I demand.

"Well, I like this place, but I'm not too sure either. So, I could hunt with you."

"You...you would do that?" I ask doubtfully.

If Rhys doesn't trust me, it's hard to believe that a virtual stranger would put so much faith in me willingly.

"Hey, we all need a purpose in this world, don't we?"

"And eavesdropping is going to be yours?"

"If there's something to find, then I'd love to find it. I do need something to live for."

I get a chill, half wondering if she's talking more about me than this mission at hand. I don't want to read too much into it and end up disappointed, but there's a certain intensity to her gaze that has to mean something.

Hey, I could use some hope, and she sure gives me that along with the butterflies. Maybe it's crazy to want love in this world, but I can't resist the pull.

"Okay, so let's eavesdrop then, try to find out if there's something we need to worry about."

I hold out my hand and she shakes it.

"Yep, let's save the world!"