One Year On - Twenty Two (Oliver)

Oliver

"Danny? Is that you?"

I don't know how I feel; a range of emotions flood me as I stare at who I think it my friend curled up on the floor with strange sobs coming out of his mouth. After searching for him forever I should be glad, but I don't know what's wrong with him.

I don't know what's wrong with me either for that matter. The car crash was bad and I feel like hell because of it. Not that I'm too worried about that.

"Oh my God, Danny it is!"

He turns to face me, the expression on his face terrifying me. It's almost as if he isn't on this planet anymore, and I'm in no position to help him. I'm still not as relieved as I should be.

This is all my fault. Every time I leave safety for a mission that isn't essential, someone gets hurt, I lose one of my closest friends. The first time, it was my police buddy, Enrico, now it's Danny. Well, it will be Danny if I don't do something to save him.

"Okay, let me get you up, Danny. Let me get you moving."

He lets me tuck my hands underneath his armpits, but his eyes don't really meet mine. They're glazed over, staring into space, like his personality has completely gone.

I really hope he isn't bit. I cannot stand this.

"No," I mutter to myself as I lift him upwards. "It was the crash, that's all. Nothing to worry about."

Danny doesn't say anything, even about me talking to myself. He always calls me out on my bullshit, which is why I love him so much.

"Danny, I'm going to rest your arm over my shoulders, okay?" I tell him, doing just that. "I know that I'm not very steady on my feet at the moment, but for you, I will do it."

I can feel emotion welling. I'm scared it might turn into tears.

"Sorry about the crash, Danny," I say as I walk as fast as I can while dragging a deadweight human behind me. "That was dumb. I don't know what happened, I can't really remember it, but I do apologize. For everything. For Ryan, mostly. I shouldn't let him get to me."

I want to yell in temper. This is all because of him and his constant flirting with Katie, the woman I love more than anything in the world. If he would just take the hint and leave her alone then none of this would have happened. Danny would be just fine.

If something happens to Danny, I'm going to kill him. I've been looking for a reason forever, but now I have a legitimate one. I will wring his neck and put us all out of our misery once and for all. I can almost feel his throat closing over between my fingers now...

Not that there's going to be anything seriously wrong with Danny. I don't want to think that.