One Year On - Twenty Three (Ryan)

Ryan

"Katie, come on, talk to me."

She screws her nose up, almost in disgust. "Ryan, stop whining. I don't want to talk to anyone right now. I'm obviously worried about Oliver and Danny. I don't have time for this."

I roll my eyes as she rakes her fingers through her straggly hair. This worry is causing her to really let herself go. I have to say I'm not impressed, but that doesn't mean I don't want her. She's mine. She knows she's mine as well which makes it all the more frustrating.

Some might argue that I just want what I can't have considering I knew she liked me before. Since she blushed like a beetroot every time she was around me, her crush was easy to pick up on. But I didn't want her then, not fully. I just liked having her on my hook, just in case.

But now we're in the middle of this mess and there isn't much choice.

And now she's picked someone else to fall for, she looks at him like she used to look at me.

Now I realize that she's the only one for me, and I need to make her see the same.

Feelings for years don't just vanish. She liked me forever and she still does. I just need to make her remember how she loves me. That's why I stick around. Wherever she goes, I do too. Eventually, she'll realize how much she likes that. Especially if Oliver really is gone, which it's increasingly looking like he is. Thank God. I've been waiting for this moment. I knew it would come as well. That man is unhinged, it was only a matter of time before he did something stupid enough to die.

Shame he took Danny down with him, he wasn't the worst person in the world, but needs must.

"They aren't coming back, I keep trying to tell you..."

Her eyes flash with red hot anger. "Don't you have someone else you can talk to?"

"Like who?" I shrug, uncaring. No one else here means anything to me

"I don't know, like anyone. There are hundreds of people in this camp. It isn't like when we were on the road..."

"You look lost." I try to change he subject. "Like you can't survive without Oliver around. It's crazy, he's such a control freak. You should be happy that he's gone."

"Don't you dare talk to me like that." She points her finger in my face, but all I notice is how our bodies are almost connected. This is progress. "Don't discuss Oliver ever."

"I'm just saying that you need move on..."

"Move on? Are you serious? There is something wrong with you. I love Oliver, and he's been gone for a short while. Nowhere near long enough for me to worry..."

"But you look worried."

"Just get lost, will you?" She moves away, effectively ending our conversation. "Leave me alone."

As she stalks off, I already know that I'll do nothing of the sort. I was rescued for a reason, to have me second chance with her, and I will make that happen.

It's destiny.

Meant to be.

Fate.