One Year On - Ten (Rhys)

Rhys

"So, what do you think of this place? It's alright, isn't it?"

"I think Oliver has done a good job," I reply loyally. "He's picked a good camp."

"I don't know. It feels a bit like there's something fishy going on here."

"Oh, come on, Alex. You've been positive all this time, keeping me going. Now you're the one falling apart? Just when we have some safety. What's going on, buddy?"

"I don't know, I've just seen some things that don't quite feel right."

"Like what?"

"There are sketchy characters here, I'm telling you. People who are using this mess as an opportunity to do bad things. I don't like it. I don't think we can settle here."

I scan my eyes around at the buildings, the gardens where vegetables grow, the children laughing and playing. Maybe there is something going on under the surface, but it seems alright to me.

"You think it's going to implode or something will get in from the outside? What sort of sketchy stuff are you talking about?"

"I don't know for sure. But I intend to find out."

I give him a sideways suspicious glance. "You aren't about to do something stupid are you, Alex?"

"You know me. I don't do anything reckless if I don't see cause to."

"I don't think I've ever seen you do anything reckless at all."

"Exactly, and we're living in all of this!"

I toss my head back and groan, knowing I don't have any choice. We've been in this too long together, we've suffered too much. There's no separating now.

"Okay, obviously I don't agree with you, but I'll help. Anything to stop you getting killed."

"I won't get killed, I'm quick and smart."

"So you think, but this all sounds pretty stupid to me."

"You'll see. Trust me."

"Oh look, there's Rachael." I nudge him playfully, knowing she's about the only thing to distract my friend. "You think you might talk to her today?"

It's a weird thing to have a crush in the apocalypse. It's seems alien, but somehow normal as well. Only, there's the added pressure that no one might be around tomorrow so you need to act quick. While we're safe though, we might as well have a bit of fun. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

"Nah, man, I'm not going to talk to her now. She looks all stressed."

"That's such an excuse."

"It isn't. I'll talk to her another time. Today just isn't the right time."

"Your face is as red as your hair. I think this is the perfect time."

But he shakes his head, admitting defeat, and I know I won't be able to get through to him. "Another time, maybe. But today, I have more important things to worry about."

I roll my eyes and snort. "Okay, fine. Well, I suppose you better show me what you think is going on then. The sooner we can get this done, the quicker we can return to normal life."

"Well, as normal a life as we can get."