One Year On - Forty Four (Katie)

Katie

"Help me!" I scream at the top of my lungs, not that I have much sound left in my lungs. I'm running out of voice box quicker than I'm losing air which is awful. "Anyone."

I need to get out of here, now more than ever. I have to escape because Ryan has gone to make sure Oliver is dead. He's pretty sure he might be considering the infected have infiltrated the camp, but he needs to be certain since he's the last thing 'in our way' like I would ever go anywhere near that madman again.

I'm disgusted that I ever liked this man. I feel like I brought this on myself. I knew he was slowly getting worse when it came to me, I just didn't see the signs of him becoming unhinged. Was that always there inside of him and I didn't see it? Did he always have the ability to be a crazy guy and I just didn't know? Or did all of this bring it out of him?

"Anyone? Is anyone out there? Please?"

The problem is I can hear the sounds of the infected out there. I know that part of things is true. I don't believe Ryan's lies that he was saving me by knocking me out and kidnapping me, but he may well have saved my life. Everyone else could be dead. I could be stuck with him...or alone. I don't know what's worse.

"I was supposed to solve this," I whimper sadly, a hopeless sense of pathetic sadness overcoming me. "I wanted to end this virus, to make this right and I failed."

I could handle not being a hero when at least I had people to save, others who needed me and my nursing skills, when it felt like I was doing something positive, and I have to admit having Oliver by my side helped. I don't know what I'll have to live for if all of this is over. Is it even worth it? Should I keep fighting?

To get away from Ryan; yes, definitely.

The rest of it...I'm not so sure.

"Oliver won't be dead," I tell myself through determined gritted teeth. "There's no way. He wouldn't give up like that. He's the leader and everyone needs him. He knows that. Me most of all...I need him more than anyone else in the world."

I need him so bad my stomach huts without him. I can't stand the AM13 virus getting to him, much less Ryan. If anything happens to him while I'm stuck in here, I'll never be able to forgive myself.

And as for Ryan...well, I don't even want to think about what I'll do to him.

It'll be ugly, that I'm sure of.

What was that? A sound has me shuffling upright, trying to get away before anyone can really get to me. That ice-cold fear trickles down my spine once more as I wait for the worst to happen.

The door opens.

Light fills the room.

A shadow appears.