One Year On - Twenty One (Benji)

Benji

I saw them coming a mile off, the young couple joining the party, hands clinging to one another as if they were in the throes of new love, the flush of kissing in their cheeks, smiling with glee at one another as they walked.

Aww, what a sweet scene, how lovely when the world outside these walls is such a mess. To find any kind of affection in this life now is something to be celebrated, isn't it?

But me, with my keen eye, I could see something else too. A darkness clinging to them, a knowledge, giving them a slight deadness to their eyes. I know what that look is, many of us have it. It's the knowledge that this whole world is hell, whatever it looks like in here. The walls are just a temporary protection and cannot hold us forever. That out there is coming and we cannot stop it.

So, if we can't do anything about it then what can we do?

The only thing I can think of is blocking it out. Escapism is what all humans want. Even before all of this it was the same, but entertainment and fun is more essential than ever. This needs to be forgotten if we want to keep our sanity. It's the only way.

And that's where I come in.

Booze is okay, but hard to come by. It's fun, but it's a depressant as well. That isn't what I want. I want more. And I knew I couldn't be the only one which is why I've gone out of my way to sort out something better. For myself and for everyone else too.

There's a gap in the market, so me and my business partner have found a way to fill it. He's a clever type, he is. A science guy. The sort of man who can create a pill designed purely for fun and after deciding to set up a little venture together one drunken night, things have been amazing. We might not need money these days but there are things we do need, and this is our way to get it.

This is the American Dream, right?

Of course, we can't always get what we need, nothing in this world is straightforward, but we're doing what we can, and we're doing well. I would call us a serious success. I don't want for anything anymore, and even though he's the silent partner, the creator while I sell, not does he.

The love birds are popping their first pill together now. I gave it to them for free, of course. It's good business to always start with a freebie. They might not always come back and be willing to pay, but this stuff is highly addictive, so usually we get lucky.

She looks more into it than he is, I think he would've said no if she didn't practically jump down my throat for something to 'take the edge off', but that's okay.

They'll be back, I'm sure of it. Just more addicts to add to the ever-growing list.