Chyanne #1

There are over 5,500 people at this school. One of them, just happens to be the person I'm texting right now.

Mystery Man: So how was class?

Me: It was long, boring and I slept.

Mystery Man: Aren't Mr. Hunters lectures the worst? I had him my first year.

There are a few things I know, for a fact, about Mystery Man:
1. He goes to this school
2. He is a 3rd year here (just like me)
3. We both signed up to do this
4. He's a guy
5. Good sense of humor
6. Smart/ Witty
7. Studying to be a writer (possibly, that's just a guess)

Why we both signed up to do this might be the real mystery. My college came up with a 'great' way to get to know each other without the judgement. An experiment, per say. I liked the idea of you and some stranger texting, getting to know each other. But also, it's weird. The rules are simple. You can text as little or as much as you'd like. You can't share who you are for at least 10 weeks, and if not obvious, no planned meetings.

I was purely doing this because Sandy made me. I was quiet comfortable in my own little bubble. I liked to just people watch and stay out of the fire of socializing.

It was about a month into the experiment, week 5 and a half to be exact. We talked every day, almost all day. Mystery Man and I had a lot in common. Sandy, my best friend, is insisting this was fate bring us together. I just think it might be luck of the draw. Especially with how many students participated in this. Secretly, I know Sandy takes credit for this.

This school was filled with all different types of people. The cool thing about college though, everyone here is serious about why their here. You pay to be here, you don't just throw away cash on an education you plan on messing with. Even the popular people, the gorgeous people had reason to be here.

There he goes, the biggest mystery man of all times; Owen Roxen. I think most girls ooh and ah over him because he is a mystery. Same tight group of friends, but will talk to almost anyone. Not much for dating, even though I'm sure any girl would agree to go out with him. Hell, I'd even agree. Owen's just not that type of guy I guess. Keeps most girls at bay and always looks good. Makes you wonder if he's gay.
"Where in the world did they find a guy like Owen Roxen?" I said still staring at him. He doesn't seem to notice anyone but his two best friends, Daniel Silver and Gregory Bunch.
"I heard he's from Canada." I peeled my eyes off Owen to look at Sandy.
"Like you've heard of blinker fluid?" Her eyes grew wide.
"I told you, it was a joke and I never believed that!" She swatted my arm. I couldn't help myself.
"Right like you 'never believed' that you're related to Albert Einstein." Sandy's face lit up with mischief and embarrassment. I took off and started to weave in and out of people laughing. She was not far behind. "Or what about that time Frank told you that you get drunk quicker if you let the alcohol sit in your mouth!"
"Shut up!" She laughed, hot on my tail. Sandy and I raced around people causing them annoyance as we laughed and yelled at each other. I dogged her at all costs, I knew she'd punch me in the arm when she caught me.

We made it to our separate classes. I was still a little breathless from our running. That was the thing about Sandy, since we've been friends for so long we always know how to have fun. Even if we were given a stick and a little green army man, we would some how find a way to have fun.

Sandy: I don't know if I like you anymore.

Sandy: Also I'm sweating....ew

Me: You love me and would be lost without me.

Me: And also, same....double ew

Sandy: Ugh! So true. Now stop being such a butthead.

Me: I refuse to make promises I can't keep.

Sandy: FOCUS ON CLASS!!

Sandy: xoxo

I smiled and flipped my phone over on my desk. If our friendship doesn't last a life time, I'd be surprised. We'd already been friends since the 7th grade. Our grade schools funneled into the same middle school. We met and have been best friends ever since. My phone buzzed again. I flipped it over expecting to see another text from Sandy, but I was wrong.

Mystery Man: Do you ever feel like your missing out on certain parts of life?

Me: What do you mean?

I waited a long time for a reply back. I just stared at my lit up screen, waiting anxiously. Those three dots in the bubble were driving me crazy.

Mystery Man: Okay, I watched these friends play and joke around with each other and I thought, my friends and I don't do that. Like sure we goof around and have fun but not like that. I mean, they seemed so simple and blissful. I feel like I'm missing out on that feeling. I hate to use the word juvenile, but it was good childish fun. Making fun of each other, chasing, laughing. You know, something you did in elementary school.

Me: I get what your saying. The word looking for is youthful, by the way. I guess I can't sympathize through. My best friend and I joke around all the time. We act like children because we never want to grow too old. Sure birthdays pass but we're not adults. Just children growing older.

Mystery Man: I like that.

Mystery Man: I envy that.

Me: It is NEVER to late to have fun.

Mystery Man: Never?

Me: Never!

Mystery Man and I text all through class, like normal. We never seem to run out of things to say. I enjoyed that. Always something new. It was also really easy to share my thoughts with him. He was like a secret diary. Someone is walking around campus holding very valuable thoughts of mine. The strangest part, I'm not worried about it at all.

Mystery Man: Favorite word?

Me: Passion.

Mystery Man: Why?

Me: Because of the irony. I'm passionate about the word passion. But I guess I'm also I'm a passionate person. I get way too into things, people included. I'm a all in kind of person.

Mystery Man: Are you?

Me: Well aren't you?

Mystery Man: I might be.

Me: You can't be mysterious. That's not how this works.

Mystery Man: Sure it can.

I dogged people in the hallway, then an arm linked with me. It was Sally. She has forgotten about the chase prior and is back to her happy self.
"How's mystery man?" I felt myself blush.
"Good." Sandy shook me back and forth.
"For the love of god women!" I bumped into people when she shook me. The group I happened to bump into was Owen, Greg and Danny.
"I'm sorry." I muttered to them. I'm not sure they heard me since my voice was so small
"Don't be sorry." I wanted to shrink away. "They should be so blessed to be in your presence." I rolled my eyes. "You can thank me later!" She yelled after them. My cheeks were burning with embarrassment. Owen looked over his shoulder with an amused smile. I melted a little.
"Wow, he's so beautiful."
"Excuse me, Mystery man would be offended." I laughed.
"He wouldn't know one way or the other."
"But he's your soul mate!" She moaned. I shook my head.

Mystery Man: I wish you to know that you have been the last dream of my soul.

Me: Charles Dickens, impressive.

Mystery Man: You know?

Me: I know.