Chyanne #15

"Why do you insist on being so embarrassing?!" I hissed at her.
"What?" Sandy giggled. "Come on, sparks were there." I could tell she was buzzed but not drunk. She was definitely not sober enough to drive. I ignored her comment, I didn't want her to be right.
"Maybe you should mind your business." I growled as we pulled into the run down Waffle House. She looked at me.
"When are you going to make a move? When are you going to follow your smile? When are you going to stop being such a rule follower and live a little! My mom always said lives are meant to be lived, otherwise they're just personal timelines." I stared at her glassy eyes. She sounded like Mystery Man.
"I'm torn." I admitted. She said nothing so I continued. "I like them both, but I don't know Owen like that."
"So choose Mystery Man, I mean what are you waiting for." I nodded. I made it up in my mind that the next time he asks, I say yes. No hesitation, just yes.

Inside the Waffle House we were the only young group. Everyone else seemed to be old and dirty, even the waitress. I always hated Waffle Houses. Sandy always craved waffles when she was drinking, Waffle House waffles too.

Sandy scarfed down some waffles. I ate her side order of hash browns and bacon. It was mediocre food at best but when you've had a few, it was really good. Food hit differently when you were intoxicated.

Mystery Man: So you ever feel like people don't want to be friends with you because of who they think you are?

Me: Uh, no? Usually people don't want to be my friend because they don't know I exists.

Mystery Man: I find that really hard to believe. I've gotten to know you and would never over look you.

Me: my guess is we've probably meet and you've over looked me.

Mystery Man: Ouch! You think I would over look you?

Me: LOL! Everyone does. I permanently wear an invisibility cloak.

Silverware clanked ahead of me, I had forgotten that I was at Waffle House with Sandy.
"You okay?" Her eyes looked glassy and more concerned. I nodded.
"Yeah, just thinking."
"Is it about Owen or Mystery Man?"
"A little of both but more Mystery Man."
"What about?" She leaned on the table, it dipped more toward her.
"What if I meet him and we aren't supposed to go? Like strips and polka dots."
"First of all, ledgense rock polka dots and strips! I have a feeling it's that kinda feeling between you too. Chyanne you opened up and let him in. Why are you worried about that now? Because if it meet its real?" I nodded. She smiled. "It was real the second he said hello." I bit my lower lip and smiled, she was right like she always was.

Mystery Man: Than maybe it's time to take off the cloak Potter.

I smiled at his nerdy reference. He had made a few nerdy references here and there, they made me like him more. They were funny and made him more real to me.

Sandy and I got back into the car and drove back into town to the apartment. The streets were starting to get busy with people who were heading home from parties and bars. It was past closing time.

Our apartment complex was still alive with people since most of them were college students. Music could be heard from the bottom floor muffled by walls and closed doors. Sandy and I trudged upstairs through our second level apartment.

Mystery Man: Potter, you've gone rouge.

Me: Calm down Weasley, I was driving.

Mystery Man: Safe driver, good to know.

Me: Do you have a mental list of all things about me?

Mystery Man: Who says it's mental?

Me: LOL!

Mystery Man: So What have you been up to today? You've been sort of....

Mystery Man: ....distant

Me: Are you say that you missed me?

Mystery Man: I said no such thing!

Mystery Man: But yes, I actually did.

Mystery Man: I truly enjoy your company, even if it's not physical.

Me: Flattered! I guess I haven't had time to miss you. I've been just busy and every spare moment I have I talk to you.

Mystery Man: It's strange how easy I can tell you all of this but if I were to see you in person, I'd choke.

Me: I completely get that. It's weird how easy it is to say how you feel now but in person it's not. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't talk at all.

Mystery Man: It's weird because I want to say 'but it's just me' but you don't know me as others know me and I don't know you as others know you.

Me: Yeah.

It was weird to have such a connection to this person I don't know. I mean, I know them. I could make you a spread sheet about them, there would just be a few things I'd leave blank. Hair color, eye color, name.

A knock came at my slightly opened door, I look up. Sandy leaned against the door frame, she looked more tired than buzzed now. It was almost 3 in the morning, I think sleep was calling both our names.
"Hey, I just want you to know, I love you." I smiled at her. Sandy was my best friend, there was no doubt. We got on each other's nerves and constantly bugged or embarrassed the other, that's what friends are for. Sandy and I were bigger than friends, we were 'soul sisters' as she would say. As much as I thought that to be a weird phrase and would never said it aloud, I agreed. Soul sisters for life.
"I know." She smiled. "I love you too." After she left, due to the time I slumped down into my bed. The sandman pulled at my eyes, dreams fluttered in my mind like an old movie reel.

Me: Good night.

Mystery Man: Good night, until tomorrow.