Chapter 19

Chapter Nineteen

Damon's POV

I groaned as my alarm went off. I just wanted to hit snooze and rest in flipping peace, but no. Someone just had to torture me by actually setting an alarm on my phone.

I sat up and grabbed my phone, swiping it to the side so it'd shut up forever. Well you get the jist. I stood up from my bed and dragged my feet to my closet, grabbing a t-shirt and jeans before walking to my bathroom to get ready for the day.

After I was finally ready to go, I slipped on my shoes and grabbed my backpack before heading out the front door. I walked to school now since I wanted to sleep in instead of get up earlier for my brother's football practice in the flipping mornings.

The air was calm as I walked with my hand in my pockets, strolling down the sidewalk. You know that moment in the movies where the character things about his life on some walk or alone time? I was having that moment.

One thing that floated around my mind was the fact that my parents were only around when Zeke was home, which is pretty shitty. And to think I looked up to a complete and utter douché wad, but the biggest thing on my mind was Sara.

She was definitely hiding something. She hadn't been at school for a week, and I'm talking about the chick with a squeaky clean attendance record. I mean, for her, it'd be off for her to be gone a full day of school. Now, all of a sudden, she's gone for a week? Plus, I heard some jocks say that her and Terrance were talking about her going somewhere the night I saw her running that Saturday.

Sara had her secrets, but I guess it takes one to know one. I'm a bag full of secrets and it was tied up and disguised well. Keith was the only people who know about my- hobbies- if that's what you call what I do. He knew about it at after I started not showing up to school. Eventually he'd follow me to the place I was sneaking away to and he got caught. Of course, to get away with what he did, he had to become what I was- a gang member. Yes, I'm a gang member, but more importantly, the third in command to my boss.

Keith ended up being my right hand man, which was a good spot for him.

I met up with the guys the day Keith and I ran into Sara on her run.

***flashback***

"Damon, my man!" I clap my hand with a fellow member named Royce, but I called him Roy of course. "Long time no see!"

Roy was in his mid-twenties. He has a wife and kids, but he has to put food on the table somehow. His department in this gang, along with a few other guys, was drug smuggling under the order of the boss. I kind of feel bad for him, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

"Yeah, Roy," I say. "Lot of shit going on at damn high school, you know?"

"Yeah, man," he nods. "I remember my good moments in high school, and of course the terrible ones, but you know-Life's life, man."

I nod.

"Boss wants to talk to you, man, you should go see him," Roy pats my pack, nodding in the direction of the boss's door. I make my way in that direction. Once I get there, I knock on the door, receiving a deep, gruff voice telling me to come in. I open the door, coughing as a cloud of cigar smoke hits me like I was a punching bag. My eyes water and I feel my lungs burn, but straighten up and put up with it before walking to the boss's desk.

"You wanted to talk to me, sir?" I asked, standing like a soldier in front of the fat and dirty looking man.

"Yeah," he answers, taking the cigar he had been biting out of his mouth. "We're going to get that fighter tonight. Been causing a lot of ruckus and less business. I want to know if you're going or not."

"Nah, man," I shake my head. "That's not my thing, sir. Let me know how it goes though."

"Will do," the boss grunts as he takes his feet off the desk and sits up from his chair. "Now get the hell out of my office, before I blow out your sponge," the boss smiles slyly at me and I chuckle before getting the hell out of the man's office. I think he was only half joking.

***end of flashback***

I recalled that the boss had let me know that the fighter got away. I had heard rumors on the street about him. Apparently the dude didn't speak and kept to himself, but fought like a damn pro. I had been to matches in the streets, but I had never gotten to see him. Now that to think about it, I probably won't for a while since the guy is probably scared shitless. I mean, if he had a damn brain in his skull, he won't go out in that part of the city again until they forget about him.

I shake off my thoughts and walk up to my group of friends in front of the school. They continue talking as I stand there next to them. I glance over at my best friend who had isolated himself against the school wall with his girl. Tucker looked happier than I'd seen him in a while, and you could tell cupid's arrow got him deep.

I admit to myself that I hate myself for how I treated him two weeks back, but I haven't really made up with him and my pride told me not to. My pride told me to let him apologize and I didn't have to say shit until he did.

Once I had looked away from Tucker, I let my eyes wander elsewhere and they just so happened to land on Sara's chocolate brown eyes. Her eyes could be so beautiful, as much as I hated to say it, but every time I looked at her eyes, they held so much hate and anger. It's not that I cared, but I've never felt so hated. Well, that's not true, a few guys in my gang look like they want to kill me, but they could want to kill anyone.

Once the warning bell rang, I walked away from my group and into the school to get my stuff from my locker. I got there and put in my combination before hitting it open and grabbing my books. I closed my locker and behind the door was Amber's face.

"What do you want?" I asked through clenched teeth.

"I want to know what your deal with Sara is," she sneers, putting her hands on her hips. "Is it true that you made a bet that you could sleep with her before Keith?"

I looked at her, my eyes probably blazing, and growled, "That's none of your damn business, Amber, and if you don't stay the hell away from me, you stupid bitch, I'll make sure that your life is screwed."

With the last of those words, I bumped her shoulder as I walked past her, making sure she got the message. I wasn't going to sit there and let her 'control' me with some gossip she heard. If she tried, Id make sure to screw up her life, and I had my many ways.

****
Amber's POV
****

Damon brushed past me, my shoulder in pain as he hit his on it. Damon always acted like a child, especially when he was scared. He threatened, but once he was open and exposed, he was like a lost dog- hopeless.

I made my way to homeroom and sauntered to my seat next to my best friend Candy. Well her name was Candice, but everyone called her Candy.

"So did you talk to the big kahuna?" She muttered passively as she continued her homework.

"Yeah, I did," I sighed. "I seriously could do anything. Anything I wanted because I had something to blackmail that shit with. Is that bet really that important to him? Seriously."

"I don't know, but I feel really bad for Sara," she lets out, stuffing her stuff into her backpack. "Don't you? I mean the whole thing about her being a virgin and them betting on her like she's not even human kind of sucks. Damon's not doing it because he likes her, or has any interersts in her at all, but because he thinks she is week. Don't you feel bad for her?"

Candy was always the sweet and kind one in our reationship, but she had a point. I didn't particularly like Sara, not that I hated her, but I did pity her. I pitied Sara Lloyd.