Chapter 38

Chapter Thirty-Eight

Damon's POV

"Stop!"

My eyes snapped open to Sara's screams and pleas. I immediately shot out of my bed and opened her bedroom door, only to find that she was thrashing in her bed. I sigh in relief at the fact that she wasn't being attacked by anyone, but I feel a growing worry when I see her this way.

"Sara, wake up," I begin as I walk to her bed, but she continues to whimper and shout out. "Please, wake up, baby."

I was trying to shake her out of it now, and her eyes automatically shot open and she fought my grip. Once she realized it was just me, she immediately stopped, but broke down and started crying.

"What's wrong?" I ask, sitting next to her and pulling her into my lap. She cried into my chest and I tried to comfort her, but she just continued to sob. "Please, tell me what's wrong."

Sara's sobs eventually slowed and turned into occasional shivers and sniffles before she pulled away from my chest, wiping her face on her hands.

"The men that did this to me," Sara begins, tears still falling down her cheeks.

"Did what to you?" I ask, furrowing my eyebrows.

She lifts up her shirt and runs her fingers over the scars. My face softens when I realize what she was talking about, and I couldn't help but feel guilty. "You dreamt about them?"

Sara nods, swiping the tears from her cheeks. "It's like I can feel them cutting into me," she says, shaking her head. "I almost died. I know because I remember how much blood I lost. Because of them, I probably wouldn't be here right now, with you." Another pang of guilt. "I'm so glad that I have you though, Damon, I really am."

I simply, hugged her to me, not able to formulate words. I had lied to her about how I knew, and now the guilt of knowing that a gang I am in tried to kill her just eats away at my consciousness.

"I'm so sorry," I mumble into her hair, closing my eyes. In my mind, I was apologizing for everything- the gang, taking away what she had before me, getting so attached to her. I know that one day, this is all going to catch up with us- with me more so.

"Can you lay with me, please?" Sara asks, her voice raw from crying as she looks up at me with watery eyes. I nod and help her slip under the covers before laying beside her. She turned towards me and snuggled her head into my chest and I wrapped my arm around her waist, pulling her closer to me. "I love you."

"I love you, too," I say, kissing her hair. Despite the horrible feeling I had, I fell asleep with Sara curled up in my arms.

***
Sara's POV
***

"So what do you want to do today?"

Damon and I were laying side by side, staring up at the ceiling, having just woken up and not really wanting to make each other pass out from morning breath.

"I don't know. What do you wanna do?" I reply.

"I don't know. That's why I asked you," Damon says, lightly bumping me with his elbow. "Do you just want to stay in today? We still have all day tomorrow, Thursday, and Friday."

"That sounds awesome," I say simply. "Breakfast?"

"I've got this," Damon mumbles, looking over at me with a wink before he gets out of bed and walks out of the room.

"Alrighty then," I mutter to myself as I sit up and get out pf bed. I look down and realize that I still have my clothes from last night on, so a shower honestly seemed in my best interest right now. "I'm going to shower!"