Chapter 39

"Wakie wakie, eggs and bacie!" Damon's voice pulls me out of my perfect, deep, and dreamless sleep.

"Mm," I grumble, pulling the blankets over my face. They're yanked away and completely taken off the bed leaving me bare to the sunlight and annoyingly cold room. "Dammit, Damon!"

"Wake up," he growls playfully next to my ear. I swear if I didn't love him so much, I would've smacked him right then and there. "The opening of the curtains is next, babe, so you better get the hell up!"

I groan and wave my hands, saying in my own way that curtain-opening would not be necessary.

"I up. I up," I mumble, still suffering from slumber-brain.

"Good, because we've got some fun stuff to do today," Damon smiles at me. From what I could tell in my sleepy state, he was straddling my waste and leaning over me.

"Ugh just go away," I mutter, pushing at his chest. He kisses my nose before hopping off of the bed.

"Wear something comfortable for walking," he says as he walks out of my room. I stand up and drag my feet to my suitcase, grabbing a longer t-shirt, a pair of jeggings, and my military jacket I had packed before going into the bathroom and getting dressed.

After fixing my hair into a high ponytail and putting on mascara and eyeliner, I walked back out to my room and put on my black combat boots, which had my favorite comfy insoles in them.

"You ready to go?" Damon peeks his head into the door way of the room. I simply nod, grabbing my satchel and phone before following him out to the car.

"Are we going to get something eat before all of this walking?" I ask, my brain starting to work at the thought of food.

"Yeah, we're going to this place called Chick-fila," Damon says. "They don't have it up North, but when the family come down here, I always get Chick-fila. It's the best."

I nod, really just wanting food in my system. We pull into the driveway and Damon orders chicken minis, which seemed pretty self-explanatory as to what they were, and once they were in the car, I dug in.

"Easy there, tiger," he laughs, snatching the plastic container from my grasp. "You've got to savor these pieces of heaven! They're not meant to be simply devoured; they're meant to be loved."

"No. They are meant to be eaten, now give them back before I hurt you," I say, reaching towards the chicken in his opposite hand. He gives a fearful look to my predatory, dangerous one before slowly handing them back to me. I ate most of them, agreeing with the fact that they were like heavenly little chickens in a buttery biscuit blanket.

"Next time I'll remember to get the family size," Damon mutters, shaking his head with a smile.

**

Damon drove us to downtown Austin and parked in a random parking garage before he was taking my hand.

"So where are we going?" I squeeze Damon's hand as we step out onto the sidewalk.

"Exploring," Damon smiles over at me. I just nod, pulling myself close enough to him to rest my head on his shoulder. We passed by multiple restaurants, bars, stores- all of which weren't extremely fascinating, but the new scenery made it so interesting. Damon had decided that we'd take the trail by town lake on a romantic walk, my words not his, but that didn't end extremely well due to the huge group of bikers and runners already filling up most of the trail.

"Is there anywhere else we should go?" I ask as we continue walking down the trail, gravel crunching under our shoes.

"I actually think it'd be cool if we canoed," Damon shrugs as we walk down to the canoe stand. We pay for an hour before we take our life jackets, oars, and then push our canoe into the water. Damon thankfully helps me inside before coming behind me, causing the boat to wobble.