38

Ciara Mendes

             "What is it you want to talk about?"

Yesterday after Rhea had ask to talk she received a phone call and made a dash with a quick apology. Now here we are one hour before we receive the results sitting in my kitchen while munching on french fries. She seemed less anxious after I told her that my sister had personal matters to attend to and my mother went back home to attend an art festival where she'd be showcasing her arts; however her anxiety return when I ask the question.

She wipe her mouth with the back of her hand before her eyes met mine. "I want to apologize for getting in the middle of your relationship. I know you might not believe me but I didn't mean for any of this to happen. I was stupid and naive—"

"We are only humans Rhea and I know I should probably hate you but I don't, besides babies are blessings."

She snort looking down at her empty plate, "Yeah a baby that I can't even give a good life."

"What do you mean?" I narrow my eyes at her.

"Never mind I'm sorry I brought it up." I watch as she wipe a stray tear.

I stood from my seat patting her back in what I hope was a comforting manner. This was so awkward considering that she might be carrying Giovanni's baby.

"I'm not judging are calling you a liar when I say this but whether are not the results prove that Giovanni is the father just know that I will be here for you, okay?"

She chuckles, this time wiping away two stray tears. "I don't understand how I virtually ruin your relationship yet here you are trying to comfort me."

"To be honest— it made me see the bigger picture."

Her wet eyes met mine, "You're the most authentic person I have ever met, well you and Enrico."

I watch her cheeks grow red as she spoke my cousin name. "I know it hasn't even been long since I met him, but he did offer me a job."

I was confuse. "What do you mean, Enrico lives and work in Canada and with the pregn—"

The door bell rang as I was trying to get more information. "I'll see who is at the door then we'll talk some more, okay?"

She gives a nod while blowing her nose in a napkin. Languidly walking to the door I pull it open to reveal both Enrico and Giovanni, one giving the other a murderous look while the other lean against the wall with a smirk.

"I won't even ask." I say turning away from them, my heart palpitates as I think about the reason why Rico was here.

"Your boyfriend is an asshole."

"And your cousin doesn't know how to mind his own fucking business."

They paused their annoying bicker as they notice Rhea brood while sitting on the kitchen stool with both her palm cushioning her face.

"Rhea? Why are you crying?" Enrico ask rushing to her side and tossing a brown envelope that I'm sure holds the results on the counter.

I eyed the brown paper as Giovanni came to stand next to me. I move towards them and grab the envelope eager to see what the results were.

       My eyes scan the paper as a whirlwind of emotions took a hold of me. I read it again just to make sure I was seeing the right thing.

"What does it say?" Giovanni ask as the other two members talk to each other as if they were in their own world.

"It's yours."

I feel his hand on my shoulder as I continue to watch the two, I was still unable to get my emotions under control. It felt as if they were on one of those million dollars spinning wheel and instead of stopping on the million it just kept going. "Ciara I'm sorry."

I shrug turning to look at him."What's done is done it's not possible to change the past, I'll just have to learn how to accept this so that we can all move on peacefully."

"What's going to happen now?" He ask gaining the attention of the other two.

"I'm taking Rhea out for lunch and leave the two of you to discuss this among yourselves." Rico leans down to kiss my cheek. "I'm sorry peanut." He whispers before taking Rhea hand.

"You don't hate me right?" Rhea ask in a small voice, she was standing right in front of me, with me having a small advantage in the height department. "I meant every word I said before."

I nod. A small smile making it's way on my face, even if I wanted to hate her it would be impossible for me to. "I don't hate you Rhea. We'll talk some more, okay?"

I watch her nod while returning the smile, I reminisce on something she said earlier. "If you don't mind I'd like to take you baby shopping soon. My treat."

"No no. That is not necessary I've already been a plague to you, I would be cruel if I let you do something like that."

"You're being melodramatic and the only way I'll think of you as cruel is if you decide not to accept."

"Are you sure about this?" She says a look of incredulity passing over her features.

"Absolutely." I seal the deal with a smile I hope was convincing enough.

She took a step towards me before I could comprehend what was happening I felt skinny arms wrapping around me in a tight hug. "Thank you Ciara, I'll see you." She whispers in my ear before pulling away.

I nod at her. Enrico gives me a smile before taking Rhea hand once more as they begin to leave; both ignoring Gio.

I turn to see him staring at me with his hands in the pocket of his Armani pant suit.

Giovanni Haynes

                      I could not fathom what I just perceive.

"Why are you staring at me like that?" Ciara asks, hands on her hips and chin jut out.

I close the distance between us, "I'm just confused, tell me, where is that impudent female I met all those months ago?"

She fake gasp, moving closer to wrap her arms around my neck. "I have no idea what you are talking about Mr Haynes."

I pull her closer pecking her lips. "On a more serious note, you deserve to live in an Ivory tower, this world doesn't deserve you, I don't deserve you."

"You're so right but I rather stay here with you."

God, I love this woman so much.

"How do you feel about all of this?" She ask messing with my hair.

I held onto her tighter, burying my face in the side of her neck. "I don't think I'm ready to be a father." I confess. 

"I don't think anyone is really ready to be a parent, sure it comes with a lot of responsibility—" she pull away from me, cupping my cheeks and staring into my eyes. "But you won't be doing this alone and every time you fall off tract I'll be there to put you right back on."

"What about you, how do you really feel about this?"

She shrug. "I'll eventually get over it, other people have far worst problems than this, I should at least be thankful that she's not bat shit crazy. I'll play the role of a good step mom."

I was feeling distress, I hate that she have to go through this all because of me. "I know what you said buttercup but is that what you really want?"

"What other choice do I have? I want to be with only you and if that means I'll have to be second priority from now on then so be it."

"Thank you." I say sincerely.

She pulls me back in a hug."Anytime."