26

Giovanni Haynes

                       I walk into my mansion at 9:30pm. I hope that mother was sleeping by now, only God knows what she had to say about those people that made her travel hours just to see me. Mom hates traveling.

"Gio, honey. Finally you're home." I pinch the bridge of my nose and toss my key on the coffee table in the living room.

"Hello mother." I say hugging the woman who dressed as if she was going to meet the Queen of England, even though it was late at night. "What did I do to be grace with your presence?"

"Please Giovanni, I don't have time for your sarcasm. We need to talk and it needs to happen tonight, I need to get back home as soon as possible." She says sadly.

I walk her over to the sofa and sat next to her. "What's the problem mother?"

She hesitates. "It's Stefano."

My blood boils at the mention of that man. She had already told me over the phone that the matter concerns Stefano Amendola but his name alone was enough to push me over the edge. 

"Mother, get to the point." I beseech.

Stefano Amendola is my mother thirty six years old brother and part of the reason why I hate that woman called Jasmine.

"I'm sorry for what he did Giovanni, but he's ill. He sent me to ask for your forgiveness, he would love for you to visit him before he—dies." My mother begins to sob and I place an arm around her for comfort as I remember that day vividly.

It was Jasmine's twenty second birthday and at that time I thought I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her; it didn't help much that father wanted me to marry her since the first three months of us dating. I called Mateo and he picked out an engagement ring. Just a couple of minutes before I had the chance to propose I found out that she had been cheating on me and that too with my uncle, there had been other men before but at that time he was recent. It pains me even more when I found out that she was pregnant, not for me but for him!

They have a four year old son now and to add to my wound the diabolical woman named the kid after me. His middle name was Giovanni for fucks sake!

"He has lung cancer." Mother continues. "Please Giovanni he's family, you have to let go of what he and Jasmine did. Come to New York with me."

I stood from beside her and turn my back on her. "I can't mother."

"Yes you can Giovanni! Learn to let this go, it will be the only way you'll find happiness and move on."

"I'm already trying to move on." I say as the imagine of my beautiful Ciara appear in my mind.

"Moving from one female to another does not count as moving on. Don't think I haven't seen those tabloids!" Mother stood next to me yelling.

"You can't believe everything you see on those." I say knowing damn well that ninety percent of them are true.

She sighs. "I've had it with you, I'm going to the guestroom. Think about what I said." She says leaving me to drown in my thoughts.

Ciara Mendes

                  I was back days earlier before my return date but that didn't mean I should take advantage of the situation and not go to work; that is why early the next morning I walk into Mrs Florence office and place my work on her desk.

"Ciara, this is a surprise." She look at me from head to toe. "I see your little vacation did good for you."

I'm not sure what she meant by that and I did not ask, I'm sure I'm not the only employee who doesn't like prolonging conversations with their boss.

"I'll have a look at this and I'll get back to you. Take the rest of the day off." I mummer my thanks before walking out of her office as if my ass was on fire.

On my way out of the elevator my phone rings, a smile made it's way on my face as I read the caller ID.

"Hello handsome."

"Hey buttercup, I stopped by your house and imagine my disappointed when I found out you weren't there. Where are you?"

"I'm leaving Flare, is everything alright?" He didn't sound like his normal self and that worried me.

"I just miss you." Was his reply.

"Alright." I check my watch, it reads 9:00 am. "How about you meet me at the diner across from Flare."

"Alright buttercup, I'll see you in fifteen minutes."

I cross the street and enter the cool cozy diner. I took a window booth close to the entrance so that Giovanni will have no problem locating me when he enter.

"Hello, welcome to Little Vinny can I take your order?" A young girl in the diner's uniform ask sweetly.

"A coffee please." I told her and smile to myself as she leaves. I can't believe I once abhor coffee and now it was like I'm addicted, I didn't go one morning without it.

Two milks, one sugar and a pinch of salt. That's the added ingredients to make it taste even more heavenly.

Giovanni walks in right after I had finish my coffee. His face lit up like a kid of Christmas day when he saw me. He walks over and peck my lips before talking the seat facing me, thankfully the small amount of people in here ignored our presence considering that I'm not a big fan of PDA.

We talk for a few minutes though I couldn't help but notice how far away he seem. 

"Is everything okay?"

"Everything is good love."

I didn't want to push him, it's not like he's my boyfriend he doesn't have to tell me anything. Yet that didn't stop me from reaching over and taking one of his hand in mine. "Come on Giovanni you can tell me anything, I promise not to judge or criticse."

"Fine." He says before telling me all about his ex and his uncle.

I know I promise not to judge but his ex and uncle reminds me of Bridget and Fisher. Did he love her? Is that the reason he turned into a man whore?

It would be hypocritical of me to tell him to visit his dying Uncle when I'm not sure I would do the same thing if I was the one in his place.

"You've been silent for the last three minutes, buttercup. What are you thinking?"

"Do you want my honest opinion, regardless of how it might make you feel?"

"I would be disappointed if you were not honest."

I sat forward and rub my thumb over the back of his hand that I held from the beginning of his confession. "I think you should visit him. He's dying, you'll never get the chance to see him again and in the future if you ever forgive him then you'll regret not going to see him when he was alive."

He sat still for a while as he assimilate my reply. "Fine, I'll go. I'd ask you to come with me but even though the bastard is dying I still don't trust that he won't make a move on you and if he did then let's just say I would have a hand in speeding up his death process."