1.11. Dancing To Our Heartbeats

"Nice meeting you guys. Anyhow, care for a dance Clinton?", Liza breaks the silence amidst the frowns, glares and taut jaws set in place.

Apparently, I'm too paralyzed to react.

"Sure", Clinton very preppily replies.

He gives us a look, eyes hard yet a mocking smile on his face as he takes Liza's hand and takes her onto the dance floor.

As soon as they leave our sight, I heave out a breath I had no idea I was holding.

Jason detecting it, gives me a questioning look. Me on the other hand getting back in control of myself give him an appalled look.

"What was that?", I turn to face him, a little angry at him.

His hands still on my waist.

"What? Did you see how he was being an ass? Especially to you. What is even his deal, huh? Girlfriend bailed on him because he was behaving like a child?", Jason says in a mocking tone.

What in the actual...

I hold in my chuckle at his comment and try to act as angry as I was feeling but unfortunately my anger was residing from Jason's stupid humor.

"You know, you're not getting away with this because all things apart, he's my client-", I start but Jason cuts me.

"And my enemy"

"-and you cannot behave with him like that", I look at him pointedly.

He looks at me for a second before letting out a breath of frustration, now looking at anyone but me.

"Jason", I warn him.

He grumbles something to himself like a child and honestly if he even stomped his leg at this point, I wouldn't be surprised.

"You know, I could buy that stupid company in which you work with a flick of my fingers-", and I cut him this time.

"But you won't because you know, how much I love my job and how much it means to me, so you respect my decisions and not interfere with it", I say in a final tone.

"Yeah. Of course, some best friend I'm", he grumbles sarcastically.

I chuckle lightly.

"Yeah, someone who's also going to dance with me now. Come on", and for the third time today I pull him along with me, which he begrudgingly accepts and follows suite.

"Look at you getting all handsy with me today. One might say you want to-", he wiggles his brows at me and chuckles.

"Oh, you never know with me", I wink at him playfully, getting that extra burst of confidence I've no idea from where.

He gives me a lustful look and my eyes widen in surprise before he lets out a laugh at it.

Definitely wasn't expecting that.

I hold in my chuckle at that.

I pull him a little deeper into the crowd of dancing couples and away from Liza and Clinton.

I can practically feel Clinton's eyes on the back of my head but I don't pay heed to it.

Apparently I just realized how much of an ass Clinton is, despite the things I feel around him.

Anyhow, I stop by near one of the corners and Jason instantly gathers me into his arms like a natural instinct to him.

I feel his hands glide on my bare back and the very hairs of my skin stand. My breath hitches as our eyes meet and I see something in them I haven't seen before.