2. 24. Rely On Me

It was a weekend yet again and the pictures of the picnic, of Justine and me literally kissing under the tree went viral. Thankfully, they mostly got my back but I'm glad they didn't get Justine's crying face.

It was a private moment and as much as I want to go back in time and smash that paps camera, I can't. They had no right to intrude on us. And I'm really furious.

Justine on the other hand, not so much. Even after a week I find her looking at the pictures after her morning tea.

She's sitting at the breakfast bar while I stand over her shoulder with the support of my hand on the bar.

She's been frowning at it for such a long time, it's almost driven me crazy with the possibilities.

Like right now, she's wearing her black rimmed square shaped glasses which I didn't know she had or even needed, frowning at the picture and twisting her mouth right and left probably unconsciously.

"What? you don't like the picture?", I ask the one thing that has been bugging me all past week.

She sighs before shaking her head a little.

"Something isn't right here", she says still thinking hard.

"What is it?", I ask her.

But she's too deep into her head, she listens from one ear and takes my words out of the other one.

"I don't know, there just... is", she mumbles and I watch as she stands up and walks away  instead, still looking at the picture.

It almost makes me scowl how blatant that was.

"But what?", I almost shout in frustration thinking out loud.

In turn this brings out Cole, who from the looks of it, just woke up. I watch as he wipes the sleep out of his eyes all the while walking into the kitchen.

As soon as he reaches me, he extents his hand towards me for our handshake. We slap the backs of our one hand together, then the fronts before fist bumping.

"Good morning, Jay-Jay", he mumbles.

"Good morning, bud", I ruffle his hair and he swats my hand away as he searches for his cup.

Within seconds he's found it but before he can go ahead with his routine further, I pipe in.

"Let me help you there", I take the cup from his hands and gesture for him to sit on the breakfast bar stool.

He obeys while I grab some milk for him.

Few seconds later Justine walks in, ready to go out.

I raise my brow at her.

"Tanner called. I've to be up at the office to look over some documents and sign them up for approval-", I open my mouth amidst her rant to remind her it's the weekend.

But she tuts at me and continues before I can word anything.

"I'll be back in an hour, tops. Okay? It's just one hour and then I won't say a word about work. Deal?", she waits for our response.

I look at Cole, who's already squinting his eyes at his mother in suspicion.

A beat later she's already won.

"Fine", Cole grumbles and rolls his eyes.

Justine is right on him the next moment, kissing his head and hugging him to her.

"Thank you, baby boy"

At last rounding onto me with her knowing smile.

"I'm sorry", she gives me an apologetic smile and comes in to hug me.