IWAHY 29

"How long has it been going on?" Kat asked her a week after their hiking. They are now in their beach house in Batangas. Maddie and Kim are both lying on the sand. Kim has already fallen asleep while Maddie is stil awake.. airpods on. She's probably on instagram while listening on her playlist.

Summer has started so the weather is blistering hot at daytime but at night, the sea breeze gives off a slightly chilly air that makes night like this perfect to cool down. Examinations and paper works have exhausted them badly.

They were on the beach most of the day, not really wading into the water. They're just at the beachside.. eating, drinking, playing music, talking and watching the waves.

Last week's hiking was fun, though Bea and Thirdy didn't have the opportunity to really sneak off. Kat was always around as expected.

At first, Bea was trying hard to convince Kat that she needed no watch over. But in the end, she stopped trying to fool around behind Kat's back. Not because Kat was always on the perfect time to bust them but Bea later realized that it was unfair to Kat. First, it wasn't Kat's choice to be on that hiking. It was only a favor that she asked of her. Second, it wasn't her job to babysit them. Last, Kat's just looking out for her. So before the night ended, she and Thirdy stopped doing what they were trying to do the whole day and chose to just enjoy the hiking, which they actually did.

Bonfire, some beers, music and chitchat were enough for them to have fun. And the best part was the bond that they had while on top. Bea knew that after that night, those boys would talk to her not because they're flirting.. but because of the unexpected friendship that started.

"After Christmas."

"How did it happen?"

"Why? You need pointers?" Biro nya kay Kat. She hates this kind of talk. It would only make her think things when she's alone.

"Baliw. I'm just curious how this with you and Thirdy started. I get it with Prince since you had the history. And others were just one-time. But this? It's almost three months already. And That guy was obnoxiously suplado to you. He hates you to the bone."

"Excuse you. He used to hate me. Hated. But not anymore."

"For obvious reason."

"You're such a hater Katrina Mae."

"I am not a hater. I am your moral sense. I love you like a sister Beatriz. You know that right? I am not worried with what you're doing. I know you're responsible. What worries me is who you're doing it with. You may say that it's just sex, blah, blah. But we both know that it is not only about that. This isn't you Bei. You always choose him over us. And that's ok with me. I understand that it's something new to you. It's exciting. You two on the different end of the spectrum. But choosing him over lola on some weekends? Misplaced priorities Beatriz. Not so you." Kat looked at Maddie and Kim first to make sure that they aren't listening before she continued. "You know that a relationship built on some weird shabby foundation like yours is not something to lean on. You know how he loves his ex-girlfriend and yet here he is banging you. What happens when ex-girlfriend comes again? Or when he meets someone he likes? What will happen to you? Will you remain as the fubu? Or will you be set aside? Will you be able to live with that?"

Bea was left silent.

She already knew all of those things. She has thought of it. But hearing it from someone makes it more real.. and possible.

"I'm sorry Bei. I might have said too much. But i love you and I don't want you to get hurt."

"I know Kat. And thank you. Don't worry. I'll do what I have to do. Don't worry too much okay? It's vacation already. He has already applied for an on-the-job-training. He'll be busy after holy week so we won't be seeing much this summer. And it's not like I'm head over heels in love with him duh! I know naman I'm not enough to replace his girlfriend."

"Bei...."

"No. Don't worry much. Really. I know where I stand. And I'm okay with it. It isn't my first time remember? I stumbled. Hurt. Bruised. Many times already. I assure you hindi eto ang magpapadapa sa akin. Chill. Okay?" Bea looks at Kat who seems unconvinced. "What do I need to do to assure you na I'm not as invested into this fubu-Thirdy thing as you think? Want me to call Prince now? Or Marlo? Or you want me to hook up with some stranger in the nearby resort? I could do that."

"No! Beatriz! The last thing we need is you getting pregnant. Worse, not knowing who the father is."

"I won't go preggers. FYI, I'm on a birth-control shot. Depo shot."

"Ohhh. That explains your weight gain."

"Pffff."

"Seriously Bei. If you're planning on hooking up with guys other than Thirdy, let them use condom. It's so scary. Baka magkasakit ka. Depo shot doesn't protect you from STDs."

"Noted mom." Bea said sarcastically. "Of course I will. I'm actually planning on asking my OB for alternative contraceptives. You know how lousy I am taking an oral pill every day. And I hate this depo shot. It messed my bleeding pattern. I get easily irritated. And the headaches that I'm getting? I hate it."

"Wooooh! Usapang contraceptive. May sexlife kayo?" Maddie suddenly butt in.

"No. I'm just being careful. Who knows when I'd get to have some, right?" Bea answered. Sorry Maddie but Kat is enough headache for now, Bea thought .

"Yeah, girl scout. Very good ka dyan de Leon. Yes to safe sex. Hindi pa ko ready maging ninang."

"Ikr? Hindi naman ako papayag na puro love ka ni ninang lang marireceive ng baby ko no? So kelangan nyo ng magandang work in the future." Bea said to Maddie then discreetly winked at Kat.

Kat mouthed dodger, then just shook her head.