Chapter 8: Eris

Even though the Camnorish forces hadn't attacked since I defeated Artoreus in an honorable duel, I remained at the top of the eastern portcullis tower of Eitheim to watch in case Artoreus wouldn't be able to wrap his head around the fact that he lost to me in combat. It wasn't above the Archdemon of Wrath to fight after he or his army surrendered, but I reminded myself that the fighting was only finished for the day. As soon as the sun came out tomorrow, more blood would be shed. I tried to take my mind off of it for the day, but I couldn't. Whenever there was a war, I always had my focus on it. I couldn't think of anything else other than the next attack. I suddenly felt a gentle hand on my shoulder, from someone who could sense my distress. My mother, Vanessa, who mortals worshipped as the Goddess of Love, beauty, and in some parts of the world, healing. She always knew I was upset with something just by looking at me, similar to how I knew when Finn was upset.

"It was Artoreus, wasn't it?" she guessed. "He's leading the attack."

"Yes," I sighed. "He relished fighting me, even when I struck him."

"Wow," Mother whispered. "All of the Seven have returned, haven't they?"

"So I've heard," I answered. "Father warned the Guardians about it, and my sons met Vindria in Hell when they went there." Mother's eyebrows raised when I mentioned Hell. I was just as surprised when Ina told me that both of my children braved the Labyrinth of Torment to save my life. That was when I began to worry less about their safety, and more about the safety of people who truly couldn't defend themselves.

"Travelling to Soareus Peak was enlightening," I continued. "I couldn't hide who I was from my family, anymore."

"Eris, you and the Scourge of Ember are two different beings," Mom reminded. "That monster isn't who you are, no matter what others say."

"And my son is now the Butcher of Dormanine," I snapped. "He's not a murderer, Mother, but right now, half of Chardan believes he is."

"What?" Mother gasped. "Are you talking about Finn? What happened?"

"It's not easy to say," I admitted. "But he was attacked by several men, he killed them in his own defense, and the Mage supposedly defending the village called him a murderer for it. The men attacked Finn with bound blades, but the Mage didn't see it before they were dead. He called Finn the 'Butcher of Dormanine'."

"I'm sorry that happened," Mother sighed.

"That title will be on Finn's conscious for the rest of his life," I hissed. "Over something beyond his control, something he had to do to defend himself. I wanted to tear that Mage to pieces. I still do. Finn doesn't, and that makes it worse."

"How?" Mother wondered.

"Because Finn... would never do what he did unless he had to," I strained. Tears began to swell in my eyes. The thought of something like what I was describing happening to Finn still made me angry, and Finn was living with it, even now. I felt Mother's hand on my shoulder again. She understood what I was thinking better than anyone. What I was feeling now was exactly what she felt when I became the Scourge of Ember. I would never be free of that. Rionah, my grandmother, didn't care whether the destruction I caused on Ember was my fault alone or not. I remembered her addressing all of what was left of Ember to tell its people that I was the one that caused so much death and destruction. What happened to me was now happening to Finn.

"I swore to him that he would never become what I became," I said.

"And he won't," Mother promised. "Not with you to guide him, and friends to care for him."

"Right," I sighed.

"May I ask you something?" Mother wondered.

"Of course," I allowed.

Guardian(Part II): SoulborneOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara