Prologue

I fought my way through the ice-covered forests, feeling the aura of the Ana-Dular, the Stone of Light, becoming stronger with every step I took. Every creature from Hell that I ran into, I killed, and every obstacle that stood in my way became my way forward. Nothing was in my way, now, though. I saw the radiant stone sprouting out of the ground, and I knew I was going in the right direction.

As the darkness gathers, I make my stand. I draw my blade, ready to throw the darkness back. I shall bend my knee to no lord nor King. I shall only serve Zenartha and her people. I am the light that burns away the darkness, I am the Knight that protects the innocent, and will give my life for this world if need be. I am a Guardian of Zenartha.

The oath that every Guardian takes was branded into my mind ever since I learned the words for it. I heard it as I drew closer to the Ana-Dular. Was it in my head, or was it being said by the Stone of Light? I couldn't tell, but I didn't care. I made it! As I approached the bright rock in the center of a clearing, I felt its power drawing me closer. I reached my hand out to touch it. When my palm came in contact with the bright rock, I felt something. I felt a strange power surging through my veins, reaching every ounce of my blood, every bone in my body. I saw a bright light surrounding me as I was lifted off the ground, then set back down. Something had happened. I looked at my arms. They had wide wristbands made from leather, with a dozen metal studs in them, and radiant crystals enchanting them both. I wore a leather cuirass with a tunic that stretched to just under my knees, but I didn't have a blade in my hands. I didn't need one, anyway. My hands, feet, and body were enough of a weapon for me. The leather cuirass I now wore was that of a Ranger class Guardian Knight Captain. That's who I had become. My name was Nato, and I was a Guardian Knight. I would make sure to prove I was worthy of this new power I had, but what happened next would put that worth to the test.