"I want you to promise me something Carly." Gramps said seriously.

"Anything for you gramps." I smiled.

Gramps was overlooking the serene water that sparkled under the morning sun. The air was refreshing and crisp.

"Promise me that you will always live up to your gramps standards; you will always live and learn from my principles and values."

"I want you to keep our family legacy alive, I want you to one day become a renowned successful doctor like me." he said seriously, but his eyes had a tint of pain in them, like he was trying to hide away his agony.

"Your father was never interested in being a doctor so I never pushed him. But I see a fire, a passion in your eyes that I had when I was a little boy. You are like my little junior form, only a girl."

"That's why I'm telling you this, because I know that you will always make your gramps proud." Gramps smiled.

"Grandpa why are you saying things like this to me?" I asked trying to keep my voice steady.

"I don't need to promise you anything because you will be with me every step of the way right?"

"Just promise me darling." Grandpa said placing his palm out ignoring my question.

I swallowed, "I promise." I put my hand in his palm and he closed his hand over mine.

"That's my girl."

I hugged my gramps tightly, "I know I've never been one to speak about my feelings and I've

never really said this to you and though I know you know this, but I love you gramps!"

"I love you too Carly." Gramps hugged me back tightly.

"I don't want to ask too much from you but I need to ask for another promise."

I nodded.

"You know Carly your gramps is getting old now; I can feel it. I'm a doctor and I know when the bodies trying to tell me something."

He took in a deep breath. "You know ever since you were born I knew you were a special little girl."

"I remember your little fingers wrapping around mine tightly, your little smile. When you were about two you used to love going for drives. Every time you would cry I would take you out for a drive and bring you here."

He chuckled, "I can still see your little face smiling up at me as we drove. Your eyes used to sparkle as if I was your hero."

I laughed trying so very hard to hold back the tears. I couldn't lose my grandpa now, not ever. I chuckled, "I know gramps you told me this so many times, you even still ask me to make that face."

My gramps swallowed; he was trying hard to hold back the tears too. "Carly I want you to promise me that one day when I'm not here, you will always smile the way you did when you were that little girl."

"Promise me that you will never cry and you will never let anyone else who we love cry for me."

"I want you all to smile because when I see the ones I love smile, I automatically smile and I

don't want to cry seeing you cry."

I couldn't hold it any longer; I started to cry and threw my arms around my gramps. "Gramps, why are you speaking like this? You will live forever."

"You promised me you will be there the day I graduate from high school, the day I graduate and get my degree and become the next Dr Edwards. You even promised me you will walk me down the aisle and give me away as a bride." I sobbed.