Too Late For Confessions

Dedicated to Elmothing for her absolutely sweet and amazing message to me about this story and my writing!

Switching off the TV I stepped up from the couch and walked to the front door where the bell just rang.

"Why are the streets always so hectic here?" Nicole dashed in pass me with a few shopping bags in her hand.

After shutting the door I watched as a very exasperated Nicole tossed her bags on the couch and collapsed beside them.

"How do you handle all this hustle and bustle on a daily basis, I'll go crazy." she said as I walked into the living room.

"I guess you get used to it." I shrugged. "I'd offer you some coffee but considering that you're carrying a little nephew of mine in that womb, I'd rather offer you some tea."

"Tea would be great." Nicole smiled and stood up, grabbing all her shopping bags. "I'll just go put these down and go check on Ivy. I hope she wasn't a bother while I was out?"

"Of course not, she's a sweetheart; she was asleep most of the time anyway." I said before making my way to the kitchen.

Liam had some work orientated thing to attend to in New York for a couple of weeks and booked into a hotel but when they came over to visit a few days ago, I insisted they live with me. With Damien away it got a little lonely in my apartment so I could do with the company, besides I was glad to have my brother and his family live with me for a while.

"I'd like some honey in that if you don't mind." Nicole said stepping into the kitchen and taking a seat at the island counter.

"Sure thing." I said.

"Thanks." Nicole said as I handed her the cup.

"Is Ivy still asleep?" I asked Nicole as I took a seat opposite her.

She nodded and took a sip of her drink. "Sound asleep." She placed her cup down. "And it's good; it will give us some time to ourselves."

A brief silence lingered in the air before Nicole broke it. "So how's Damien doing?"

"Fine."

"When's he getting back?"

"Day after tomorrow." I answered.

"Excited?"

I plastered on the biggest smile I could. "Yeah, I haven't seen him in three weeks."

"I bet he's ecstatic." Nicole said.

I wasn't up for small talk, in fact I wasn't in the mood to do any talking as of late but at the same time I hated sitting in silence, that's why having Liam and his family over was good. They were always so full of...life. Every morning, without a fail Nicole and Liam would have some sort of argument and before he left they would make up, then Nicole would see to Ivy when she got up. The whole day seemed to be filled with one thing or the other; I found everything quite amusing because of how cliché my brother's mornings were. Then by the time I got back from the hospital Liam would be home, playing with Ivy while Nicole prepared dinner. So much would happen in a day that it gave me no time to think.

"Carly!" Nicole yelled breaking away my reverie.

I blinked. "Hmm?"

"You've been doing that a lot lately, is something wrong?"

"Doing what?" I frowned.

"Spacing out and speaking so little." Nicole answered. "If Liam and I are a bit too much to handle for you, I don't mind shifting to the hotel again."