A Sweet Gesture

• Dedicated to Nonnino

This chapter is very close to my heart, it took me some time to write because I would end up crying writing it. As you read along you'd understand. This Chapter is also dedicated to my late Nonnino (grandfather). Also the song on the side is suited from the part you see the starts. Enjoy.

"Morning mom." I said cheerily entering the kitchen

"Bye mom" I kissed my mom on the cheek before making my way out of the kitchen after grabbing a granola bar.

"Just a second young lady." My mom stopped me.

"And where do you think you're going this early?" My mom raised a brow.

"Mom it's such a beautiful morning, so I thought I'd go for a jog."

My mom looked at me for a few minutes before she said, "I can't believe what I'm hearing; my afternoon riser daughter talking about going for a jog in the morning."

"Mom; not funny."

"Okay sweetie I won't tease you any longer, I'm glad you're going for a jog." My mom laughed.

"On your way back could you stop by at the store and get these few things. Your father and brother seemed to be living only off cereal and microwave meals." My mom said handing me a little shopping list.

"Sure!" I smiled and put the list in trainer pants pocket.

I hit shuffle on my i-pod, plugged on my earphones and headed off. It was a cool morning in California, as I ran I could feel the fresh morning air brush over my face. I passed by the houses or mansions that were in my street. We lived in a pretty up-market place; where most of the wealthy people lived. Even though we weren't half as wealthy as most people here, we still lived here. My dad had a pretty good job that paid well which allowed us to reside here.

I detoured from the street to the local park. Passing by all the early Sunday morning risers; there were kids out with their grandparents and parents, young people taking strolls some alone some with partners even some with their dogs.

I was surprised at how a lot of my surroundings looked familiar, I remembered this park; I remembered coming here with my grandpa when I was little. I stopped by a bench that over looked a little pond that had a few ducks swimming around. I smiled remembering that almost every Sunday my gramps and I used to bring along some breadcrumbs, sit on this very bench and feed all the ducks. I swallowed trying to get rid of the lump that was forming at the back of my throat.

Whenever gramps and I would sit here, gramps would tell me stories about his life or sometimes he would tell me old fairy tales that his mom told him. I loved the way he used to tell a simple story like Cinderella in his own unique way; he always exaggerated and made me feel like the princess in every story.

Before we would go gramps would buy two chocolate fudge ice-cream cones and we'd walk around the park, while my gramps would check out all the ladies in the park. I laughed remembering how angry I used to get at him for looking at ladies other than my gran. What could I do I was only ten and gramps was just such a flirt, even in his old days according to grandma.

I failed miserably at trying to fight off the lump in my throat; I was now tearing thinking of my gramps. It was almost eight years since my gramps had passed away. I hated thinking of the day I lost my gramps; it was the worst day of my life. Sitting here brought back all those memories of him. The memory of our last trip here will always stay in my mind.

*****************************Flashback**********************************

My gramps was acting weird, he was talking strangely. I knew he was sick but I didn't want to hear anything, because I knew he was going to be okay. He was my strong grandpa.