An Unexpected Twist

Gently and very slowly I placed Mason's phone on the bedside pedestal, making sure I made no sound whatsoever to wake him.

I turned on my heel to make my way for the exit but not before I had one last glance at Mason - who was sound asleep. His eyes were closed and I admired how the shadow of his long lashes cascaded over his cheekbones, I fought back the urge to move forward and brush the few strands of hair that was covering a little of his forehead because I knew he'd wake up and he looked far too peaceful to be disturbed from his sleep.

Mason was sprawled over the bed with the duvet spread halfway across him; he was on his back giving me full access to see his face one more time before I had to leave. A smile along with a small blush spread across my face as my mind replayed the previous night's events.

With one last glance I eventually left, shutting the door softly behind me and I made my way towards the exit of the house.

I knew it was pretty low of me to leave even before Mason got up but I had no choice. Nicole called sounding panicky earlier in the morning demanding to know where I was and just when I thought she'd calm down after I told her I was alright, I was left disappointed because she didn't, she insisted that I come home instantly because my Nana was over and she wanted to see me leaving me with no choice but to leave straight away.

I walked down the long driveway of Mason's beautiful beach house and just as if on cue Nicole's car pulled up and before I could even smile at Nicole, she instantly opened the passenger door and gestured for me to get in.

"Good  morn-" I began.

"Not a phone call or text to say you're alive and well. What is wrong with you Carly?" Nicole started scolding just as I got in the car.

As soon as I shut the door Nicole started the car and we were off. "Do you have any idea how worried I was? I was up all night, subtly asking Amber and your other friends if they knew where you were but none had a clue!" she ranted. "And Mason is no better either; does that boy even own a phone?"

I opened my mouth to speak but shut it when Nicole carried on with her rant. "Of course he does, it was his phone that I finally got through to this morning! What the hell were you so busy doing that you didn't find the time to spare two minutes to text and say you were fine?"

I opened my mouth again but hopelessly since Nicole was on a roll. "But no, you're a high school graduate now; you're old enough to not bother about the ones at home who spent a sleepless night worrying about you!"

Nicole lifted her hand and showed me a small distance between her thumb and pointer finger. "I was this close to calling the cops but your brother told me not to worry and that you normally spend the night at a friend's without letting anyone else know. Sure Liam might've known that but I was not at ease until I knew for sure! You are one insensitive and careless girl Carly!"

"Nic-"

"But you are okay right?" she asked this time sparing a glance at me.

Nicole was worse than my mother; well she was more like a mother since my mom hardly ever went on to lecture me for so long. I couldn't help the smile that crept onto my face, I was humbled and warmed by the amount of concern and love Nicole showed.

"Don't you dare smile at me when I am furious at you Carly!" she snapped.

This time the smile turned into laughter, Nicole trying to be furious at me was quite funny. "This is not a joke Carly, I am dead serious here. Apart from being worried sick all night I got a huge surprise this morning when Alison rocked up at the front door asking to see you."