A Little Like Old Times

"You look like a high school girl with that silly grin on your face." Mason said as we stood in the queue to get on the Ferris wheel.

My smile dropped by an inch when I took in Mason's pale face. "And you look like you're about to be sick, are you okay?"

"Of course I am."

"Alright, if you say so." I mumbled to myself not believing him. I got the feeling that Mason wasn't too keen to go on the Ferris wheel.

We stood in silence as the queue moved and I got more and more excited. I've never really been to a carnival before and neither have I ever been on the Ferris wheel.

"Carly," Mason began looking even paler than earlier on. "Do you really want to go on something that will be taking us high into the sky?"

"Of course." I said enthusiastically. "Why? Are you scared?"

"Of that thing?" Mason scoffed. "Not even in your wildest dreams."

I raised a brow at him. "Are you sure? Because if that was the case, you wouldn't want me to rethink my decision of wanting to go on it."

"I was just looking out for you; I thought you'd be afraid."

"Aw, how considerate Mas, but don't worry your little brain, I am thrilled to go on it."

"It is your day after all right birthday girl?" Mason said.

It had been a little over a week and a half since my visit to Mason's office and ever since that visit I'd seen Mason almost every day. We always made plans to meet up to think up a plan to get Nate and Amber together again but that never happened since we always found ourselves busy with something else and by the time we even thought about coming up with a plan we were too tired and decided to reschedule.

For instance the last time Mason and I met up, instead of discussing anything Nate or Amber orientated we ended up watching a movie. Mason insisted that I was a scaredy-cat when it came to horror movies so I had to prove him wrong and that is exactly what I did, since by the end of the movie Mason was the one who was holding onto my arm while I just laughed at what a big baby he was.

Over the past week and a half I felt like I was with my childhood bestie again, I felt so young and carefree around him, I didn't feel like an almost twenty five year old but rather as a sixteen year old again. Mason brought out my inner kid - especially when we argued - and I happened to like it.

So today once again like the many other days, instead of coming up with a plan, Mason insisted we go to the carnival that was an hour away from home for my birthday. I was surprised when he rocked up at my front door with a box of my favourite chocolates and a birthday card. I wasn't only surprised but touched that Mason still remembered my birthday.

I sat opposite Mason in our little cubicle as the wheel moved slowly so more people could get on. "Is there no seatbelt on this thing?" Mason asked looking around his seat.

I pointed to his right. "There it is."

Mason looked at it then back at me. "Thanks." He murmured as he hastily buckled up.

I sat and looked at my surroundings as we got higher.

"Aren't you going to put yours on?" Mason asked me.

I shook my head. "Nope, I'm not afraid."

"Neither am I...I'm just, uh, being safe you know." Mason said nervously. "You know what they say, safety first. You should put yours on; I don't want you to die before your wedding."

"Imagine that." I said with my eyes widening. "I would be a ghost bride, a girl who never saw her wedding day because she oh so tragically fell off the Ferris wheel. I'll come back and haunt every single couple who got on a Ferris wheel; I would look all scary and gross like the witch in the movie we saw." I grinned and wriggled my brows. "How awesome would that be?"