A Twist Of Fate

Sorry for any errors, haven't proofread the chapter.

I sat in my living room, in front of the fire place and stared aimlessly at the dead fire, I looked at the burnt ash in front of me. Those ashes that was once a fresh, strong piece of wood was now nothing but ashes. That piece of wood was once like my relationship with Mason, it had splinters here and there but it was still strong and whole, now our relationship was nothing, just like the ashes lying in the fireplace.

It was after midnight and I was home for a good hour and a half but I still couldn't get Mason's vulnerable eyes out of my head, they were filled with not only hurt but also love, I saw something that I always wanted to see in Mason's eyes, love for me.

Tears were still escaping through the corners of my eyes, there was a moment I wondered why I was even crying but after sitting alone in my cold and dark living room I knew why I felt so heartbroken. I was torn between two people I felt deeply about, one was Damien who was there for me at a time I felt as if I had no one, we both found comfort in each other when we were at our most loneliest times, we were the light at the end of each other's tunnels. He made me smile and laugh and forget about old wounds but most of all, he innocently and wholeheartedly loved me; he loved and still loves me more than he probably loves himself, so much that I feel so unworthy of his love and affection.

Then there is Mason, our relationship has always been so complicated and rocky. He was the only person who could get me so worked up and angry but he was also the only person who could so easily appease and get me to smile again. With Mason I always felt so...alive and young; he made me forget about everyday woes and got me to just live in the moment. With him it's like a roller-coaster rush, so scary and daring but also so exciting and thrilling at the same time, there was never a dull moment between us. We were always arguing and I think that's what made my feelings towards him so strong.

I shut my eyes and rested my head against the backrest, how could I ever choose between the two? Why was there even a choice to make? Mason was a part of my past and shouldn't the past stay there? If Mason and I were meant to be together then why did we always separate when we were so close to being together?

My answer was clearly evident, I knew Damien was the right person for me, he always was and always would be then why was I so sad and uneasy, why did my feelings for Mason feel stronger than ever before?

"Carly?" my thoughts were put to a halt when Nicole's soft voice welcomed my ears.

I opened my eyes and saw her standing in front of me in her nightgown. "Carly, it's freezing in here." She said wrapping her arms around herself. "What are you doing sitting alone in the dark?"

I sniffed and wiped my cheeks. "Sorry, I um...I got back just now and I think I must've dozed off."

I attempted standing up but Nicole held my shoulders and pushed me back before she sat down next to me. "Carly," she began softly with concern coating her tone, "What's wrong? Why were you crying?"

I sniffed again and shook my head. "I wasn't, my eyes are just puffy because I was asleep."

"Don't lie to me; I know you long enough to know you were crying." Nicole said. "Now tell me what's wrong."

I felt a lump build up in my throat again and tears profusely ran down my cheeks. "He loves me Nicole." I mumbled.

"I don't understand... of course he loves you. He's going to marry you." Nicole said sounding confused. "I don't know why this would come as a shock to you."

I slowly shook my head. "No. Mason loves me."

"Mason?" Nicole whispered. "How... I mean, when did you realize this?"