His Greatest Strength

It was finally the day of the final tournaments of Winter Cup. Everyone was up and getting ready early despite the game being later in the afternoon. In the kitchen, Tomoko packed the energizing snacks for her team carefully as Yuuma came downstairs.

"Today's the big day, huh?" the man said, crow's feet crinkling in the corner of his eyes. "Your mom and I will be there to cheer Seirin on."

"Thanks, dad!" Tomoko smiled as she went up to kiss his cheek. "I'm heading out now."

"So early? Are you meeting with Seirin?"

Tomoko gave the man a sheepish smile as she shook her head, "No, the team will be meeting later, when it's closer to game time."

"I see. Ah, Tomoko," Yuuma hummed as another thought came to mind. Tomoko had been distracted for the past two days and he noticed. "Did something happen recently?" he asked, taking the girl by surprise.

"Eh? Why do you ask...?"

"I've lived long enough to know," he chuckled and patted her shoulder. "And you're my lovely daughter. I can tell when you feel unease and there's only two possibilities that I can think of. It's unlikely that you're in an argument with a friend, so, did a boy confess to you?"

With a pink blush, Tomoko nodded.

"And?"

"A-And..."

"There's more than one, right?" Okuma Yuuma was always unsuspecting and easy-going, but he was in fact with a sharp mind. He had already known of his daughter's influence on the basketball team, and the teams that they faced were no different. Even at a young age, Hayama had been equally smitten with her. "Ichirou had just gotten a girlfriend, too... Both of you are growing up so fast. This is big news!"

"Dad..." Tomoko whined at the man's teasing tone.

"Just listen to your heart and don't be apologetic for your feelings," Yuuma smiled softly in response. "When I met your mother, she was all I could think about. Her kindness, her actions... Your heart will know, and you'd want to do things for the person you like even without thinking about it."

That was the same thing that Murasakibara Keiko had told her. If she found someone she loved, then her heart will involuntarily skip for them.

"Now, weren't you heading out? Don't let him wait too long."

Tomoko blinked incredulously, "How did you know..."

"You're my lovely daughter," Yuuma repeated with a chuckle. "Of course I know."

-----

...

From: Kise Ryouta

To: Okuma Tomoko

Can I see you today? I'll be in Tokyo at xxx cafe at 11.

(09:04)

...

Tomoko stared at the text she had received earlier when she was still at home and sighed as she stuffed the the phone back into her pocket. She was a little hesitant to agree since her emotions were still in a mess, but she felt it was only fair to see the blonde. He was still injured from the last game and she knew he needed some comfort for not being able to play in the game later against Shutoku. It was certain that without Kise helping Kaijo, Midorima will lead Shutoku to third place.

It was five minutes past 11 and Tomoko pushed open the door. Warm welcomes from the staff greeted her as she looked around the cafe in search for the blonde model. Off in the corner, even with just a small ray of light reaching the seat, she could see the handsome male and he met her eyes with a warm wave.