The Calm Before the Storm

Back with another chapter! Thank you for all your patience :)

-----

"Sorry for the—"

"W-Woah..."

"It's huge!"

"Um, come on in," Kagami said meekly as he went to set down his gym bag on the polished wooden floor. The team trailed behind him in disbelief as they looked around the spacious apartment. Instead of going out to a restaurant to celebrate, Kagami had offered his apartment to the team to eat and rest a little before going back home since it was closer and cheaper.

"You said you lived by yourself?" Tomoko mused with wide eyes. She was already touring around the area while poking at various things. It felt slightly empty, but traces (the dumbbells, some magazines, semi-stacked shelves) around the room did signal that a human being lived here at least. "It's so tidy!"

"Well, I was suppose to live here with my dad," he replied. He didn't think his apartment was that great, but since he had it to himself, he guessed it was an upgrade on its own.

"Kagami-kun, you're a despicable guy after all," Kuroko pouted at the redhead. "I'm not going to be your shadow anymore."

"Why would you say that?!"

Hyuuga and the others sighed and took this time to actually look around the apartment as well. They congregated to the living room and set their stuff down. "The decor is simple though, and it makes the space look even bigger. You really only think about eating, sleeping, and basketball," the captain remarked.

Teppei was one of the last ones in after taking off his shoes, and he immediately noticed that someone was missing in the group. "Huh? Where's Riko?" he asked Fukuda who was standing in front of him.

"She headed to the kitchen with our ingredients," the boy replied nonchalantly.

"WHAT?!" Hyuuga and the rest shrieked upon hearing about Riko taking on the kitchen again. He rushed up to poor Fukuda and shook him by his collar as the others panicked with terror. "Did you already forget what happened this summer?!"

"B-B-But I thought Okuma-chan is h-helping..."

They paused momentarily and glanced at the kitchen. They had decided on making a hot pot since it was fast and easy, but it was still scary when Riko was involved, no matter how much she claimed she's improved. All eyes went towards their manager; the girl was dutifully instructing the brunette on what to do with the vegetables as she went over the list of ingredients for the broth.

Okuma-chan, you're our food goddess!

But for some reason, Riko was taking over the food again.

"Are you sure? I can help," Tomoko replied, but the coach simply waved her off with a determined grin. "I'll go set up the pot then!" she smiled.

W-Wait—! the guys feebly watched as the two girls got to work on separate things and couldn't help but eye the food with fear and skepticism. Hyuuga and Kagami bolted up from their seats and rushed over. "We can get that! So Okuma you can—"

"Quit yapping!" Riko snapped suddenly and their mouths closed shut. Her expression was still serene so they didn't know how to take it. "Well? Go set up the table! The broth is ready."

They gulped and trudged over to help. Soon enough, Riko brought the steaming pot towards the living room. "It's my special hot pot!"

"It's ready?!"

When the lid was taken off and the steam cleared up, the guys were surprised to find that everything looked normal.

"The vegetables are actually diced..." Koganei blinked. Not only that, the rest of the ingredients were properly sized to fit in the pot and the aroma from the broth smelled appetizing. "Wait, where am I right now?" he questioned.