We Will Fight Until the End

Hey hey hey! Sorry for the long wait I've been busy during the semester (junior year of college!) and had been more inspired to write my other fic To Be a Hero, but I'm back since it's winter break and I have ample time to sit down and jump over my writer's block for Spark!

I hope you guys enjoy this chapter, and please let me know your thoughts afterwards :)

-----

Shutoku High, eight months ago.

"Hey, Midorima Shintarou-kun!"

At the address, the miracle turned around. He didn't think many people knew who he was yet, since the semester just started. A raven haired male was jogging to catch up to him and gave him a small grin as he introduced himself.

"Yo! I'm Takao Kazunari. You're joining the basketball team, right? Me too! Nice to meet you."

Midorima was skeptical of the friendly male. "How do you know my name?" he asked and this 'Takao' burst into laughter.

"Everyone who plays basketball knows your name," Takao finally explained, waving a hand in the air. He then drew his attention on the item in the miracle's tapped hand. "Eh? What's that?"

"Oha-Asa fortune's lucky item for the day. It is tape."

"Pffft! Are you serious?"

"What is so funny?"

"You don't think it's hilarious that their lucky item is tape?" the male said between chuckles, holding his stomach. "And what's with the way you talk? It's freaking hilarious!"

Midorima scoffed softly.

That was his first time meeting Takao Kazunari, and his first impression of him wasn't a good one. Takao was definitely too frivolous for his taste, but he figured such a person wouldn't last long on the team anyway.

Shutoku's practices were long and grueling, even more so than Teiko, and those who were once successful in middle school all quit before the first month was up. Midorima always noted that none of the other first-years would stay late to practice, yet...

Takao Kazunari continued to stick around. Specifically, Takao would always stick around him.

"What do you think you are doing?" he asked one day. "Recently you have always been around when I stay late. You seem to compete with me during practice, too. Do you bear some kind of animosity against me?"

Takao stared blankly at him for a moment before letting out a short chuckle.

"Sort of," he admitted. "I guess you don't remember me. I played against you once in middle school and lost. I kept practicing after I quit out of frustration. When I finally got into high school, I thought I'd join again because I can't deny that it was fun, and who knows, maybe I'll finally beat you. Then the guy I swore to defeat became my teammate. It's laughable, but there's no point in being hostile now," he sighed. "If anything, I just wanted you to acknowledge me. Maybe that's why it seemed like I was competing with you."

"Why did you not say anything?" Midorima responded bluntly, causing the male to start laughing obnoxiously again. "Why are you laughing?"

"A-Are you serious? You want me to tell you? 'After you destroyed me, I worked really hard! Please acknowledge me!' Talk about lame!" he let the mockery out of his system before picking up a basketball. He pointed determinedly at the miracle. "I'm sure I don't have to tell you not to, but don't acknowledge me yet. I'll definitely practice harder than you. I'm just doing what I decided to do..."

Takao dribbled up to the net and made a layup in front of Midorima before turning to give him a grin.

"Eventually, I'll send you a pass that will impress even you! Don't you forget, Shin-chan!"