Tough Luck

Posted this on FFN this morning right before I went to work -- came home to post it here as soon as I could! :-)

-----

On the other side of the duo, two familiar models trailed a distance away. Kise had picked up a baseball cap from a store to better conceal himself, both for the fans and his targets. Similarly, his spy partner donned sunglasses and a heavy scarf to cover her lower face. Since it was near winter, their getup didn't stick out like a sore thumb, but their sketchy behavior did cause a few heads to turn.

"Aomine-cchi didn't see us, did he?" Kise peeked out from the telephone pole he was hiding behind, only to see the two still walking down the street.

"He didn't look this way I think?" Saeko observed. Deep down, she was actually finding this wild goose chase kind of entertaining; trying to get closer to Kise aside, it really was a better alternative to the coffee shop. Still, she didn't get his infatuation with such a plain girl who was with someone else on a date... Presumably.

"Kise-kun, can I ask you a question about this 'Aomine-cchi' guy?"

"What about him?" The reply was disgruntled and quick.

She had found it odd that for someone who was literally triggered by the presence of the tanned male being near Tomoko to address him so familiarly. If they were friends, then wouldn't what Tomoko was doing count as breaking apart a friendship? That got her thinking. "What's your relation with him?" she asked.

"Hm... I admire Aomine-cchi. He's sort of a friend and inspiration for me," Kise admitted, his golden eyes shone with reminiscence before a cold look overtook it. However, it went unnoticed by Saeko.

"Okuma-san is the common interest, then?" she wondered with some bite to her tone. "Or is she already with him...?" When the blonde didn't reply, she mistook his silence for confirmation and boldly continued. "If she has feelings for your friend, wouldn't you want the best for them if you're not meant to be? I'd give up."

Kise stared at the girl, "Give up?" When she nodded, a laugh then escaped from his lips. "Please don't say something so blatantly hypocritical, Yamanaka-chan."

The beautiful girl looked both offended and nervous, so Kise went on with a cheery grin.

"Even after knowing that my heart is with another, you're still willing to pursue and get my attention in any way possible. Isn't that why you were willing to put up with my behavior and suggest that we follow them?" he looked down on the tight-lipped model. "In the same way, even if what you thought about Aomine-cchi and Kuma-cchi were true, I'd still fight for her. I guess we're not so different."

"Why... Why won't you acknowledge my feelings?" Saeko bit out in frustration, stepping closer to the male with a determined stare. "What does she have that I don't? She's a nobody! I can ruin her with the reputation I have—"

"I don't know what your impression of me is, but I'll tell you this... I don't like you, and I'm not that nice to people I don't respect," Kise leaned towards her with a dangerous smile. The aura around him conveyed a clear threat: offenders better think twice before speaking ill of Tomoko.

"..."

He could see that she was deeply affected by his words; her eyes were brimming with angry, unshed tears as she gripped onto the strap of her designer purse. He tilted his head, "Did I make you hate me now, Yamanaka-chan? Perhaps you don't even want to work with me anymore?"

"I'm..." Saeko bit her lips. "I'm not backing out from this project! But I'll take my leave now."

Kise didn't stop her as she called for her driver to pick her up one street over. When she hung up, she looked back at him with a sad, but hard gaze. "I guess you're right. We aren't different at all," she pointed to the couple they were trailing. Aomine had said something that made Tomoko laugh. "Like me, you'll never get her to look your way when there's someone else."