XXIV

Soft

Amphitrite slowly woke up the next morning to the sun shining on her face and the feeling of an arm wrapped around her chest

Amphitrite slowly woke up the next morning to the sun shining on her face and the feeling of an arm wrapped around her chest. She sat straight up and saw the young Ben Solo had been laying with her, midnight hair still seeming perfect, and he slowly awoke from their sleep. "Amphitrite?" He said with a yawn. Amphitrite was a little stunned. She didn't remember him sleeping with her last night. She didn't remember much from last night, honestly. She remembered his apology, and how sincere his dark brown eyes were. She remembered getting to see his smile for the first time ever and just how beautiful it was. She remembered they had talked about how they were both different which ended up making them pretty similar, both brought here to train but ultimately feeling like outcasts. And then, she remembered the kiss. It wasn't anything deep or passionate just simply his lips pressing gently against hers. But that didn't stop her from blushing afterwards. She remembered being an absolute flustered mess, it was her first kiss after all. "What are you doing here?" She asked Ben who slowly sat up with her. There was something in his eyes that she hadn't noticed before. It was like a dull sparkle, a tiny hint of golden honey light. "You asked me to stay with you last night." He told her. "I wouldn't have done it unless you had asked... I don't want you thinking I was looking for an opportunity for anything." Amphitrite nodded slowly. "Okay." She said as she took in what he was saying. "So we didn't-" "No!" Ben was quick to respond with a blush on his pale face. "Stars no. I just- I just held you close to me." There was a pause between them as Amphitrite took in what he was telling her. She nodded with a small smile as she realized he had no intention of doing anything to her. He just wanted to hold her, and vice versa apparently. "Your hair," Ben began as his eyes looked at her golden hair, which Amphitrite was certain was an absolute mess at this time in the morning, "it's so soft." He said a little dazed. "But your braid," he added as he reached out and pressed his fingers to the midnight black Jedi braid. "It's the same color as my hair... why?" Instinctively, Amphitrite's hands grasped around the braid as she pushed it out of view, a little insecure about it since he pointed it out. "I don't know." She said honestly. "I always dreamt that a strand of my hair was midnight black because 'I had been kissed by darkness as a child'. It's foolish, I know, but I couldn't think of anything else, nonetheless anything more fascinating." Ben laughed softly at her. "I like that explanation." He said as he looked at her. "Thank you." She replied with a soft smile. But then realization washed over her face. "I'm supposed to be training with Luke in three minutes!" She shouted as she suddenly jumped out of bed. Her sudden outburst startled Ben as he watched her. "I have to go, like right now." She said as she tried to make herself somewhat presentable while Ben watched. "But I would like to do this again sometime."