13. Be Aggressive

Grant Allen

So Lisa was a competitive little minx. It is funny how you never notice someone at work but when they are running as fast as an ostrich and jumping over hurdles like their life depends on it you can't help but notice. Good thing I had switched teams with Peter because at this rate Lisa would bring us the championship trophy.

I watched her as she gracefully jumped over the last hurdle and collapsed with a smile over the finish line tapes. She seemed to be having the time of her life. I could help but feel like I needed that energy around me. I let towards her and smiled at her beaming face. Her hair was sprawled out all over the ground and she looked like she ran marathons for fun. 

"Need a hand. "

"Nope. I am good thanks. I am just going to hang out here for a while. " her smile widened revealing a charming our of dimples.

"Oh, Lisa." I instinctively reached for her hand and helped her up.

"Well, we won. That good for us right. " I said smiling at her obvious delight.

"Yeah well even if we didn't I am sure the Boss' team is having a hard time so we are good. " She walked to the stand with. 

"Hey which ones the bosses team?"

"You see that guy panting at the back there? That's Casey he is in the blue team i.e the Boss' team." She let out a delighted laugh.

"Well knowing Mathew he is trying to work them like slaves to get them all to win. He is kind of a sore loser. " I watched the Casey guy stumble and fall before picking himself up again.

The day actually progressed how I thought it would and by five pm we were all sweaty, smelly and ready to relax. Since it was the third day were just about antsy and ready to for the dinner ball that was held on every third day of the retreat. Hopefully, they would go all out again because I was ready to stuff my face with fancy expensive food I normally did not afford.

I made it to my room making sure Brad was not in the shower yet. I was going to shower first since I was planning to scrub myself clean and dress up slowly so that by the time seven o'clock rolled around I would be dressed and ready to mingle.

The transformation from frog to the prince was slow but a success as I took one last look in the mirror to fix star strands of hair in my head. I dusted some loose threads of the lapel of my jackets and then made my way out to the ballroom, leaving Brad still singing in the shower.

The moment I reached the ballroom I was treated by ladies and gentlemen in tuxes and long floor-length dresses. It did feel like a fancy dinner. This is what people meant when they spoke of self-care.

I immediately spotted Mathew with some stiff looking people around him and the kid standing next to him holding his hand.  Who brought kids to company functions anyway. I turned to scan the room maybe I could meet some interesting underlings at this thing. immediately spotted Lisa talking to the Casey guy they seemed to be having fun so I made my way to them but not before grabbing a wine glass of a moving tray.

"Hey, Lisa. How are you feeling now? Is the buzz gone ?"

"Well yeah it's gone now I just got to feel the burn for the rest of the night. " She laughed. "Casey this is..."

"Grant." He finished for her with a tiny frown on his face. Well okay.

"Grant this is Casey," she said looking pensively at Grant like she also did not understand the tone of his voice.

"Nice to meet you, Casey. " I said ignoring the way his wrist chocked mine like he was holding back a lot of words.

Just before the situation could get any more tense or awkward Brad came up next to see us and waved an awkward hie before telling me Mathew wanted me to watch his kid while he signed some documents for the company. I obviously declined but Lisa who was eavesdropping immediately squealed and said she loved kids and she would get him for me. Great now I had no choice but to babysit but maybe it would help me put the moves on Lisa. She did say she liked kids. Brad immediately left followed by Lisa and it was just me and Casey now.

"Shame on you. " Casey said and not in the fun way of shame on you, friend.

"What why?" I asked confused.

"Well you have a family and her you are flirting. " Casey said sounding very cryptic.

"Should families prevent you from flirting?"  I took a sip of my now warm wine. "I mean shouldn't they want you happy. "

"Not if it's with someone else. " He whispered clearly fronted by whatever was going on.

"I don't get it. "

"You can not be flirting with people when you have someone else at home. " Casey said now pissed.

"I have someone else. Wow. Why did they not tell me about this so I can participate in this relationship? " I responded irritated by this guy who thought he knew me. And clearly, he did not.

"Don't act dumb. " He said crossing his arms over his chest.

"Okay listen here, buddy. I don't know who you talked to but I have no one at home all I am trying to do is to get Lisa to go on a date with me and if you liked her tough luck you should have made a move first. " I whispered a little too harshley in his face.

He opened his mouth to say something but was interrupted by Lisa's abrupt return.

" Isn't he the cutest. " She said looked at the baby in her hand completely oblivious at the tensions.

 " She said looked at the baby in her hand completely oblivious at the tensions