16

Copyright © MonMoncheese
All Rights Reserved
16 Published 03.10.2020

•••

JAMES

Pressing the call button, I wait as it rings.

I feel my heartbeat increase by the second, which causes me to bite my lip in anxiety.

Why was I so nervous? She was just a stranger.

Nothing more, nothing less.

We didn't even know each other's names!

What we knew about each other was little.

But nevertheless, she has become a stranger I'm growing fond of.

After four rings, I hear some sounds in the background.

"Princess." I whisper into the phone.

I hear a gasp, but the girl doesn't say anything.

"What's wrong?" I say again.

"I, uh, nothing. Absolutely nothing." She finally speaks and I suck in a breath.

Her voice.

It's beautiful.

So soft.

So alluring.

I shake those thoughts off of my head and concentrate on the problem at hand.

"Princess, You didn't text me. You read my messages, but you never replied." I tell her sadly. Remembering the worry she caused me when I saw that she read my messages, but never replied to them.

"I'm sorry." She answers softly.

"Is that all you have to say?" I ask, suddenly upset that she was ignoring me.

"I am sorry. I just wasn't feeling very well."

"Mhm, tell me why?" I wait for her to speak, but she doesn't.

"Baby?" I try again. 

"I- umm-" She starts, and I sigh cutting her off.

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to. But if you want to talk, remember that I'll be waiting for you. But I want to know why you were ignoring me? I thought you loved me." I joke hoping to make her feel better.

"I just wasn't..." she starts, but groans. "I didn't want to annoy you anymore. You're probably tired of me. And I guess I wanted to save you the hassle of taking to me."

I stay quiet thinking about what she just said to me, but her voice brings me out of my thoughts.

"Stranger?"

"I'm here baby, I'm here." I say first. "I want to tell you this first. We don't know each other. But if it weren't for my mistake, I wouldn't have texted you. And none of this would have happened. And even though I asked you to delete my number several times, you kept on texting me. It was annoying at first, but I'm growing fond of your sarcastic remarks. But listen, even though we don't know each other, I've grown used to you. So it's kind of weird not getting a text message from you. But if you ever feel like that again, let me know. And like I said, you were annoying at first, actually, you still are, but it's the good kind. The kind that makes me think about what a strange girl you are. So please, if you ever feel like that again, let me know. Even if you don't want to talk to me, let me know that you don't want to talk. But please, don't leave me hanging and not reply to messages. Okay?" I take a deep breath after my little speech as I wait for her to say something.