80

Copyright © MonMoncheese
All Rights Reserved
80 Published 05.31.2021

•••

JAMES

Staring at the ceiling through the dark, I tap my index finger against the white sheets, the softness of them coming in contact with the pad of my finger.

Blinking twice, I try to get rid of the dryness in my eyes caused from the lack of sleep.

Not too long ago I was finally able to fall asleep without my mind drifting to her, but that didn't last long since I woke up half an hour ago, only to think about her, again...

And the small word underneath my messages was not helping my sleepless night.

Clenching my stiff hand, I stretch my forearm on the bed, the tip of my fingers coming in contact with a soft fur. Looking to my side, I watch Theo lie beside me, sleeping soundly, unaware of the storm happening inside of me.

Licking my lips, I divert my eyes from Theo and look straight at the ceiling once more, my hands hiding under the warmth of my sheets.

It seems that the night is filled with thoughts of my own, as my mind can't help but drift to a certain girl.

She read them.

She read my messages.

Sometime during the night, Rose read my messages. And I only found out after I woke up from my short sleep.

As soon as I opened my eyes, a throbbing pain was pulsing at the side of my head, and I tried to go back to sleep, but I had this sudden urge to check the phone resting on top of the nightstand.

And once I unlocked my phone, the same screen I had last seen a few hours ago, appeared. My eyes immediately travelling down to a certain word right under my messages.

Read.

At that moment, I felt a sudden spark of hope, one that would be enough to get me through the entire day. Because Rose may hate me right now but knowing that she read my messages was a start.

She could have completely cut me off from her life, but she hasn't.

And that meant something to me.

Because there has to be some hope left, for her, for me, and for us.

I only wish she had replied back, however, I knew that she wouldn't be doing that for a while.

As my mind travels through dangerous waters, my breathing becomes ragged, and I have to clench my fists under the sheets to control myself.

I just want her to be okay.

To be happy.

Even if it meant she would be happy without me.

Through the storm in my head, I manage to hear the sound of my alarm go off, causing me to close my eyes and exhale.

Pushing my previous thoughts away, I peel the sheets from my warm body, the chilly air biting at my skin as it begins to miss the previous warmth. Throwing my legs over the bed, my feet come in contact with the ground underneath them.

Leaning forward, I rest my elbows on my thighs and rub my face with both hands as I let out a deep breath.

As the alarm continuous to ring, I hear a rustling sound of the sheets beside me, and I reach forward to my nightstand and turn the alarm off.

As the ringing finally stops, I bring my hand back to my side. My shoulders tense as I take a few minutes to clear my head.

To my side, I feel a sudden nudge and I look down to see little Theo looking up at me with a pair of sleepy eyes.