86

Copyrirght © MonMoncheese
All Rights Reserved
86 Updated 05.07.2023

•••

"Why do I feel so hollow?" -RKG

ROSE

Pushing my legs faster, I keep running through the park.

My lungs burn inside my chest from breathing the cold air and my body begs me to stop, but I don't listen.

Not when I'm almost there.

Forcing my legs to run faster, I ignore the pounding headache on the side of my head and just focus on the trail in front of me. I've been running for the past two hours, my legs never once stopping for more than five minutes.

My body is exhausted by now, and my legs would try to give in every now and then, but I would force myself to keep going. I couldn't give up so easily.

Especially when I'm doing so well.

Ever since that day in the bathroom I started exercising more. It was the only way that I would lose weight faster.

Unfortunately, I can't escape my brother. There is no way I can stop eating all together, but every chance I got I would go to our gym room to exercise. And his practices after school only made it easier for me.

My chest heaves up and down as I begin to struggle to breathe, but even then, I never stop. The trees rush in a green blur as I pass them in a hurry. Drops of sweat begin to trickle down my temple, the cold air making it feel colder than usual and I shiver.

I'm still running when my leg tries to give in, but I don't let it.

Foolish girl, if you stop, they will never leave you alone.

You will never be good enough for them.

And he will never care about you.

Hearing the voice in my head, I fist my hands in anger and keep going.

It's been three weeks since I last saw him. My stranger. And even though I read his messages, I still find myself missing him more every day.

Nathan hasn't mentioned anything about him since we had our last conversation about him a week ago.

And he's not going to.

Not until I'm ready.

"Come on, Roseanne. You're almost there." I tell myself when I see the ending to the trail, and I can't help but feel relieved.

Pushing myself one last time, I run until my legs can't carry me anymore.

The moment I stop, I fall to the ground. My knees hit the concrete as I start coughing repeatedly and I have to bring a hand to my chest, fisting the jacket tightly as I try to regain control of my breathing.

My eyes become glassy due to the constant coughing, and I use my other hand to wipe away the sweat from my face.

But the moment my hand encounters my cheek, I flinch. My cheek was scorching hot, and I look at my hand in shock. I could clearly see that my hand was freezing due to pinkness of it, and I know that the running had warmed up my body, but this was not normal.

As another wave of coughs hits me, I decide to not waste another minute and force myself to get up from the ground.

My legs try to give in as I stand up, but I push myself up. At some point my hood had fallen from my head so I decide to bring it over my head once more.