-058

The following day I spent at home. Harlem and I watched movies, done housework and slept. I tried my hardest to have the most least stressful day I could, last nights dinner with Happy giving me a sense of refreshment if only for a while. So I was surprised when the front door opened and a very rattled Gemma walked in.

"What's going on?" I asked sitting up from my spot on the couch and stepping towards her with Harlem on my hip.

I watched as she wiped her hands nervously on her shirt "I just needed to see you guys" she stepped towards me wrapping her arms around us both and the sweet smell of her perfume wafted through my nose bringing the nostalgic comfort I was used too from her.

"Are you okay?" I questioned as she pulled back and I looked up into her sad eyes.

"Sit down for a minute baby" she said as she guided me to the couch, taking my free hand in hers "I love you so much Evelyn, and Harlem too. You're everything I could've asked for in a daughter and I didn't deserve you or your patience with me growing up. I put you through so much more than a child should've had to endure...your dad would be so proud of you"

I felt my face screw up as I looked at her "okay...why are you saying this?"

"No reason, I just want you to know how much I really love you" her eyes watered as she spoke and my confusion grew.

"This sounds like a goodbye mom" I whispered as I looked up with her, feeling panic rush through my veins as her eyes didn't soften and stayed sad as she attempted to smile at me.

"I have to go now Evie. I'd appreciate if maybe you could remember me as I am right here, right now, rather than what you're going to find out my sweet baby girl" she whispered as she pressed a gentle hand against my cheek before she looked down at Harlem "take care of him, love him from the wildest, purest part of your heart and you will do no wrong"

My eyes started to sting as I took in her words "what did you do mom?"

"I have to go" she said again kissing us both once more before walking to the front door looking back once more with tears now openly spilling from her eyes "take care of your brother okay?"

And with that Gemma Teller-Morrow closed my front door and left me sitting in my living room confused and heartbroken.

As if on cue my phone buzzed from the couch "yes?" I answered without checking the caller ID.

"I need you to come to the mayans warehouse, it's important" my brothers voice sounded through the line and my confusion continued to mount.

"What's going on?" I queried

"Just come Evie, it's important I tell you face to face" he said and the line clicked dead.

I dressed quickly in whatever I could find and grabbed Harlem's baby bag, chucking things he'd need in there before getting in the car and heading to where Jax was. My mind was going a million miles an hour over Gemma's apparently goodbye and Jax's phone call, I knew it had to be related but I couldn't piece together how my mother could do anything bad enough to run away from Jax.

I was greeted when I arrived by Nero standing out the front of the building, his usually warm welcoming eyes looked at me with a sadness in them that was hard to place as he walked over to greet me "Evie"