-056

"Jax?" I asked as I climbed up onto the warehouse roof where Lyla said I could find him. He was sat with his knees pulled up and head resting on his knees. I paused for a second considering leaving him be but my little sister instincts wouldn't let me.

I stepped towards him and wrapped my arms around his shoulders from the back. I felt him breathe in deeply and deflate "I don't know what to do anymore Evie. I'm lost."

"What do you mean?" I asked quietly standing and moving to sit next to him.

"Someone has Bobby..." he whispered "and it's my fault"

I stewed on this information for a moment allowing silence between us to simmer. I wasn't sure how to go about replying, my heart felt heavy knowing that Bobby wasn't safe but with the last few years events I wasn't entirely shocked. It scared me how normal all of this felt.

"You'll get him back Jackson, you're smart" was all I managed to come up with and even I didn't believe it.

"They cut his eye out" Jax spoke as he stared out at the skyline "I'm responsible for another one of my brothers pain"

"Bobby has been around for years Jax, he is loyal and would do anything for the club. Don't blame yourself too harshly, you couldn't of known"

"It's hard to see an end to all of this right now"

We sat in silence for a few moments after that and I processed everything and tried to be a calm place for my brother, something he severely lacked since his best friend and wife had died. But I knew he was plotting, he was many things but a strong leader was top of the list.

My phone buzzed from my pocket pulling me out of my thoughts "yeah?"

"Evie, are you with Jax?" Brookes voice came through the phone.

"Yeah why?"

"Abel needs picking up from school but they'll only release him to Jax or Gemma"

I groaned rubbing the bridge of my nose "Try Nero to find Gemma...Jax is a little busy" I suggested as I side eyed where my brother sat staring out into the nothingness.

"Okay...shall I take Harlem with Chucky and I?"

"That's fine. Thanks Brooke" I clicked the end call button and turned to Jax "I have to go do some things at the lot, but if you need me just call"

He nodded but didn't turn to look at me as I stood to leave, giving my big brother one last look I left him to his thoughts.

I woke early the next morning. Leaving Happy and Harlem snoozing in the bedroom as I perched on the kitchen counter and drank my morning coffee contemplating what type of shit show would ensue today. It was naive to expect some type of normal day after the last few months and with Bobby still with whoever it was that had taken him, my mind wouldn't let me believe normal even existed.

Outside our front window people went about their business, the elderly woman who went walking every morning walked past enjoying the singing birds and fresh crisp air Charming offered at this time, our neighbours truck roared to life as he headed out to his job and I was sure the neighbourhood children would soon be rising for their school day. All of these things looked and sounded foreign too me.