Chapter Twelve: Alfredo

Start from the beginning

"Niall breathe!" I cut him off in mid rant because I can't stand to hear him go on and on in the tone of voice he's using. He's so upset that his words blend into eachother and his tears don't help at all. His voice breaks every other word and it drives me towards insanity. I refuse to cry in front of him and show that I can't handle a breakdown. I have to keep the image of Daddy Direction. I have to show him that I can remain composed in a bad situation. He has to know that someone will take care of everyone when he's...

Niall looks me in the eyes and I see him searching for something in them. He knows what I'm thinking. I know he does. He shakes his head sadly, the tears falling down his face. We both know the inevitable...he's going to die. Zayn smoking is not helping his case at all.

I grab Niall by the shoulders and shake him. "Don't you dare give up Niall. Don't you dare ever even fucking think about giving up," I say angrily after reading his thoughts by his eyes. He was standing on a thin piece of hope right now. I can see him mentally convincing himself that it is all set in stone already. That his death was just around the corner. I refuse to let him think that way.

"But Liam-"

"Don't you dare 'BUT LIAM' me!" I yell and shake him again. He blurs out of focus and I know I'm crying. I shake my head harshly, now trying to convince him and me. "You are going to survive this. You are not going to leave me," I choke out and pull him into another hug.

"I'm trying Liam."

"I know."

"But Zayn..," Niall whispers and I pull away from him, wiping the tears away from my eyes.

"I know. I'll make him stop."

Niall looks at me with his eyebrows raised. "Promise?"

I chuckle and shake my head at him. Somethings just never change. "I promise Niall," I say with a smile. He smiles wider before standing up, offering me a hand to follow his motions.

"Thanks Liam. I love you," he says as I get to my feet.

"I love you too Niall," I say honestly.

** Niall's POV **

Liam and I are making our way towards the kitchen and Harry's cooking drifts to me. I inhale deeply trying to figure out what he has cooked. It smells pretty good. My stomach grumbles and Liam chuckles beside me.

"Good you're hungry," he says and glances down at me. He shakes his head before looking away. What was that about?

I look down at myself. I've lost a little bit of weight. My clothes hang looser a bit, but that couldn't mean anything drastic. I mean I've been working out lately. This is normal...

"NIALL! LIAM!" Harry yells when we enter the kitchen and I notice the fake mustache on his top lip. Louis and Zayn are already sitting at the table. "Sit! Sit!" Harry says in a French accent and pushes us towards the table. I take a seat beside Louis and Liam sits on the empty chair next to me. Zayn is seated across from me. Awkward...

"So what'd you cook?" Liam asks after a long best of silence.

Harry grabs the pot from the stove and comes over to the table, placing it down in the center. He smiled widely before removing the lid off the top. "Alfredo," he says.

The fumes drift to me and I breathe in the heavenly scent of Alfredo. My stomach grumbles and my mouth waters. Boy am I hungry.

I grab the pot before anyone else can take a spoonful.

"Hey!"

"Harry stop him!"

"Niall, don't you dare lick the sp-"